Database Project Manager
Title: Database Project Manager (Fisheries Electronic Monitoring Database)
Location: NOAA Facility at Tech Park East Falmouth, MA
Clearance: DOC ID Badge
IBSS has an excellent opportunity for a Database Project Manager to join our team on a contract with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). This position will support the Fisheries Sampling Branch’s (FSB) various Fisheries Observer Programs in the coverage of several Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Federal and state fisheries. FSB monitors the performance of fishery observers who complete data collection and biological sampling on board commercial fishing vessels from Maine to North Carolina. The data collected are managed by the NEFSC's Data Management Systems (DMS) Division.
The Database Project Manager will work cooperatively with Fisheries staff to manage, develop and analyze Electronic Monitoring (EM) program database requirements. EM is an exciting new tool that is at the forefront of efforts to modernize fisheries monitoring.
This position will be responsible for the supervision of EM software and database personnel and with frequent interactions with EM project partners. The Database project Manager will support multiple growing EM programs while ensuring control, security, integrity and accessibility and dissemination of data. This position requires well-developed project Familiarity with fisheries management and policy issues related to monitoring is a plus, and willingness to develop a deep knowledge of the region's fisheries is essential. If you are looking to be an instrumental part of a growing, employee and customer-focused company working on exciting issues in environmental science and other marine/coastal resources. We want to hear from you!
- Support the NEFSC Fisheries Monitoring & Research Division (FMRD) through the collection and use of information from commercial and recreational fisheries to inform fisheries science and management and fill data gaps to complement fishery independent surveys through the utilization of commercial and recreational fishing platforms.
- Collection, processing, and management of fishery data and utilization of industry platforms to obtain data on fish biology, environmental variables, and socioeconomic factors in support of stock assessments and ecosystem-based fishery management.
- Support the development of technology and data products to improve fisheries reporting and availability of data to fishermen, scientists, and managers to proactively manage fisheries and support industry's adaptation to changing environmental and socioeconomic conditions.
- Monitor operations by supporting at-sea observers aboard commercial vessels and at shoreside facilities, training and certification of observers and monitors, data quality and management activities, and advancement of new technologies to support these activities.
- Work with industry to collect and analyze commercial fishery and environmental data in near real-time to improve the understanding of species distribution and environmental drivers, the predictive modeling of these factors, the precision of stock assessments, and to enhance the temporal and spatial resolution of multi-species catches and life history data.
- Coordination and tracking of scientific activities, administrative support of scientific and technical programs, and outreach and engagement.
- Developing and monitoring resource investment strategies.
- Working with marine fisheries information programs or other science-based programs
- Bridge the needs of management and developers in providing quick resolutions during critical production issues with performance related resolutions
- Ensuring the security, integrity and availability of confidential data streams.
- Developing performance metrics and milestones.
- Other tasks as assigned by the client task manager and IBSS Program Manager.
- Directing team efforts and supervising the work of others.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines with flexibility between tasks.
- Flexibility and patience to lead a team within an organization that is dispersed.
- Substantive experience supporting program development through integrated project work group meetings and system reviews for quality and performance.
- Familiarity with modern project management techniques and software (e.g., JIRA by Atlassian).
- Experience ensuring the security, integrity and availability of confidential data streams.
- Familiarity with commonly used programming languages such as PHP or PL/SQL, and Oracle database systems.
- Program planning and management in a team environment.
- Working with diverse interagency teams.
- Ability to implement and integrate security standards set by the NMFS and implemented by NEFSC’s DMS Division.
- Capable of facilitating interactions among team members with diverse sets of skill sets.
- MS or PhD in Sciences or a related field (e.g., Marine Biology, Fisheries)
- 14+ years of relevant experience within the federal space.
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned, WBENC-certified and MBE/DBE-certified small business founded in 1992 that provides premier IT and Cybersecurity services to Federal, state and local governments and commercial clients. We specialize in life cycle solutions for network engineering, information security/assurance, software engineering, help desk, data management/migration and project management services on the IT side, VOIP and a broad range of wireless engineering services.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401 (k) plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Please submit requests for additional information and qualified resumes to: email@example.com