Big Data Architect
Hobsons connects learning to life by matching students to opportunity across a lifetime of education decisions. Nearly 60% of first-year college students find they aren’t prepared for college, despite being technically eligible for it. Employers are also finding that students are not being properly prepared for the workforce in key areas. We aim to change that by delivering college and career readiness solutions that help bridge the gap between college access and completion by engaging students throughout their educational journey.
Big Data Architect
Currently we have an outstanding opportunity for a Big Data Architect to advance our Platform Analytics team at Hobsons. As the Architect of our Big Data Platform, you will provide a pathway to production for analytics across Naviance, Intersect and Starfish products at Hobsons. You will work with heads of engineering to deliver solutions that are consistent with our “One Hobsons” approach to Education Technology.
You will be responsible for the solution to protecting and optimizing our continued investment in analytics on behalf of students, counselors, school administrators, and parents, from kindergarten through post-secondary education.
The Hobsons data library covers students throughout their education journey, from kindergarten to earning a college degree. With best practices and technology you will deliver a big data architecture that will scale to the seasonal needs of education while meeting the challenges of data governance across multiple software products.
We are looking for someone who has proven capable of developing architecture with big data technologies, and can advocate it’s adoption within a technology organization.
We have a strong preference for someone with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Elastic Map Reduce (EMR).
This position will be in: Arlington, VA (Clarendon metro), Cincinnati, OH (Sharonville OH)
- Deliver value proposition of platform approach to Big Data problems encountered by SaaS companies
- Lead discussion of latest trends in Big Data technology and how it applies to Hobsons
- Enable individual engineering teams with self service technologies such as Apache Kylin, Kylo, Apache NiFi and Airflow
- Establish DevOps processes for marshalling big data work products from development to production
- Serve as technical coach to analytics team members
- Feature development that ties into customer needs and product capabilities
- Collaborate with Product Architects to develop roadmap items
- Analyzing and recommending new product capabilities
- Strengthen the Data Science team with Big Data solutions running on Spark, Tensorflow, and Amazon Sagemaker
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or combination of education and experience.
- Ten years experience delivering technology solutions
- Three years experience leading design of Big Data solutions
- Five years experience with Hadoop, including HDFS, Spark, Hive, HBase
- Five years experience with NoSQL such as MongoDB, Elastic Search,
- Five years of working with Unix systems
- Three years experience with Python
- Expertise with data lakes, data warehouse, data marts
- Experience with Data Governance, Master Data Management
- Experience with AWS Services like EMR, Kinesis, S3, Cloudformation
- Data Warehouse experience with Apache Kylin, Apache Nifi, Apache Airflow, and Kylo
- Three years of experience designing and implementing Streaming and Batch solutions on Hadoop.
- Experience supporting Data Scientists with machine learning code in Spark.
- Ability to translate product objectives into an execution and delivery plan with milestones and resource needs.
- Experience with IT Automation tools like Ansible, Chef and Puppet
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with git and other source control systems
Hobsons recognizes the importance of taking care of our most valuable assets – our employees. That’s why we not only offer a comprehensive total rewards package but also continuously evaluate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of our workforce.
Benefits Include (but may vary depending on location):
- Affordable and Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- 401(k) Plan with Match
- Flexible PTO offering for all Exempt roles
- Substantial time off for all Non-Exempt roles, including Floating Holidays and Premium Days for Volunteering, Personal Wellness and/or School Conferences/Visits
- Education/Tuition Reimbursement
- Life, AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Voluntary Employee Programs: Legal Services, ID Theft & Credit Monitoring
Work-Life Balance & Culture
- Company Closes December 24th through January 1st as a Paid Holiday
- Generous Holiday Schedule
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Casual Dress Environment
- Flexible Work Arrangement Opportunities
- Fitness Program Membership Discounts
- Hobsons Annual Achievement Awards Event
- Employee Funded Charity Programs
- Adopt A Class - Local Community Involvement
- Work Perks Discount Program
To view our comprehensive list of total rewards benefits, please visit: www.hobsons.com/careers/why-work-here. To learn more about Hobsons, and our products: Naviance, Intersect and Starfish, visit our corporate web site at www.hobsons.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Hobsons is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or another legally protected status.