Orbit Senior Editor
The Senior Editor will be responsible for acquisition, creative oversight and management of science fiction and fantasy titles to be published on the Orbit imprint.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop relationships with authors to shape the manuscript throughout the creative process; collaborate with authors on changes in style, content and format of books, and with illustrators, on design of books.
- Maintain and develop relationships with literary agents to source high quality submissions and evaluate the submissions for acquisition by providing creative and business reasoning.
- Identify and develop ideas for projects for the imprint.
- Negotiate deals and manage contracts alongside the contracts department during the drafting and negotiation stages of all author and rights contracts.
- Manage acquired books through the editorial and production process and ensure manuscripts go through copyediting, jacket copy, etc.
- Serve as in-house advocate for authors’ titles; work with publishers and deputy publisher, publicity, design, sales and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort for each title.
- Participate in industry events, trade shows, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years’ experience in trade book publishing or closely related field.
- Understanding of current science fiction and fantasy market and writing
- A demonstrated ability to conceive of and develop book projects for trade publishing.
- Self-motivated, hands on, creative individual with exceptional oral, written, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Strong computer skills and project management skills and a demonstrated knowledge of the book design and production process.
- Attention to details in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to identify new talent utilizing knowledge and contacts in the industry.