Senior Technical Writer - Exton, PA (Or Remote)
We're looking for talented and intellectually curious technical writers for our team. Writers who can apply both intuitive and analytical thinking and quickly understand complex software. Writers who can visualize the big picture and brainstorm about edge cases. Writers who are technical enough to experiment with the product, test assumptions, and even dive into source code to figure out how something works.
As a technical writer on the Documentation team, you will:
- Plan, design, and develop content for our on-premises and cloud solutions.
- Write documentation for our applications, plugins, and APIs.
- Work with geographically distributed teams of developers and product managers.
- Contribute to content development efforts and to departmental projects and initiatives.
- Collaborate with Documentation team members in other locations.
To succeed in this role, you must have excellent communication skills, strong technical skills, a hands-on approach, and a self-motivated attitude. Expect to work in a fast-changing, flexible environment, and to use your own judgment extensively.
Required skills and experience
- 5+ years of experience writing developer documentation for enterprise software products
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of structured topic-based authoring and standard industry practices in information development and delivery
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, XML, and related web technologies
- Knowledge of web applications and databases
- Ability to understand database programming languages and object-oriented-programming code
- Ability to plan and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to elicit information from experts and learn independently through research and experimentation
- BA/BS in Technical Writing, English, Computer Science, or related degree or comparable experience
Preferably, candidates also have some of the following:
- Experience with DITA, Git, and Markdown
- Experience creating videos, walk-throughs, UI text, online help, and other user assistance for SaaS applications.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
About the Documentation team
The Documentation team creates and publishes content that helps our users understand technical and business concepts and successfully deploy, customize, and use Guidewire products.
Our audience includes business analysts, technical consultants, and various levels of programmers. Writers must deeply understand the end-to-end behavior of our product features and functionality as well as related configuration files and APIs.
Guidewire delivers the industry platform that P&C insurers rely upon to adapt and succeed in a time of accelerating change—and to ensure that every customer succeeds in the journey. We provide the software, services, and partner ecosystem to enable our customers to run, differentiate, and grow their business. We are privileged to serve more than 350 P&C insurers in 32 countries. We invest heavily in R&D to build a technology platform that combines three elements—core processing, data and analytics, and digital engagement—to enhance insurers’ ability to engage and empower their customers and employees.
We believe we have a good idea about what makes a fulfilling work life for employees: meaningful work, quality products, good work-life balance, and plenty of freedom to innovate and create. We were recently honored with a Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award for Best Places to Work in 2018.
At the heart of Guidewire’s culture are three core values:
- Integrity: We insist on truthful relationships with customers, partners, and each other in everything we do.
- Collegiality: We work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy.
- Rationality: We act, communicate and make decisions with factual knowledge.
The company is headquartered in Foster City, California and is publicly traded under the symbol GWRE.
Seem Like a Good Fit?
If you’re excited by the same things we are, we want to hear from you today! To see job listings and testimonials from employees about what it’s like to work at Guidewire, go to http://careers.guidewire.com.
Intermediate to Senior
Guidewire Software Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it’s applicable to the position.