Systems Designer - Metagame
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? How about more than one? Certain Affinity is an exclusive Austin studio comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced industry veterans committed to a solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing multiple AAA FPS products. In addition, we are creating compelling new games of our own.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Systems Designer with experience designing and implementing gaming systems for both single and multiplayer games. You will help create, implement and maintain gaming systems, including the economy and metagame elements. This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry, then help us reach new heights by increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for years to come.
- Work closely with the Creative Director and Lead Designer to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player mechanics, game mechanics, game modes, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to iterate, balance, and adjust game elements such as economies, metagame, combat mechanics, player and NPC abilities, collectibles, and player progression to create a fun and balanced experience for all types of players.
- Create design and other technical documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and vision of the system and related features for the client, from internal developers across all disciplines to marketing and external developers.
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the existing game experience.
- 3+ years of game design experience, including systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer.
- Experience designing or developing and maintaining metagame systems or game economies
- Proven ability to create innovative systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs
- Proficient in various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, UE4 Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience documenting technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI.
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience
Certain Affinity offers relocation for this position to Austin, Texas where we make it all happen.