Senior Encounter Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas and opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada, in 2019. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Senior Encounter Designer at Certain Affinity, you are responsible for melding visually stunning layouts with challenging enemies to create compelling and engaging combat encounter. Your skills encompass both the creative and technical elements of design, allowing you to create a wide variety of encounters across a vast number of objectives and missions.
If you have experience creating encounters, are eager to have an impact, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Deliver interesting and varied encounters for both First Person and Third Person Shooters
- Collaborate with other teams – world-building, AI, narrative, character, system designers – to meld all of their best content together into a holistic and engaging experience
- Collaborate with the development team to brainstorm creative ways to implement and showcase the game’s core mechanics through varied encounters and objectives
- Collaborate with a narrative team of designers, engineers, cinematic artists, and writers to ensure the local and overarching narrative is being advanced in the levels and missions
- Assist the Lead Mission Designer in reviewing encounters
- Help drive playtests to gather critical feedback on encounters from players and develop a plan of action to address issues
- Work on original and licensed properties, coordinating with teams and licensors to ensure brand consistency and presentation that reflects the licensors’ needs
- At least three years of experience as an AI or encounter designer
- Shipped at least one AAA Action PC or console title as an AI or encounter designer
- A thorough grasp of good level design principles (difficulty, risk, and reward, pacing, tension, etc.)
- Proven ability to support narrative through level and mission design
- Ability to use world-building tools such as UnrealEd, Radiant, Max and/or Maya
- Experience with advanced scripting or coding
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and methodology
- Ability to collaborate with cross-discipline teams including art, audio, engineering, and narrative
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Thrives in a highly iterative, highly collaborative environment
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and well-organized, with strong multitasking skills; able to juggle multiple projects and management all at once
- Creative individual with a thirst for innovation
- Passionate about gaming and game development
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Experience developing for Xbox One or PS4
Certain Affinity offers relocation for this position to Austin, Texas where we make it all happen.