Contract Lighting Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Contract Lighting Artist at Certain Affinity, you will help work within our multi-discipline art team to light the game world as well as create mood and atmosphere that is in keeping with the art direction of the game. You will be using the latest techniques of baked and real-time lighting and post-processing. You will be expected to master the engine and tools to maintain a consistently high-quality level while ensuring artistic and technical constraints are respected.
- Work with the Lead and Sr. Lighting Artists to create lighting for all aspects of the game
- Create lighting looks through color grading and other post-process effects that will enhance the atmosphere and gameplay effects
- Verify the quality of the lighting once the elements are imported into the game and make any necessary improvements
- Identify and fix bugs associated with Lighting
- Help update and create documentation related to new lighting techniques and existing workflow
- Create Sky textures for use with various atmospheres
- Optimize the lighting to keep in line with the technical limitations of the engine and project
- Create real-time and baked lighting using commercial and proprietary game engines
- 1-2 year's experience in the game industry, explicitly lighting environments
- Must demonstrate the ability to apply an artistic approach to lighting shape and volume
- Knowledge of lighting techniques, real-time and pre-rendering
- Understanding of the construction and application of materials and shaders
- Knowledge of PBR shaders and workflows
- Knowledge of lighting, color and image composition
- Knowledge of color grading and other post-process effects
- Ability to understand technical constraints and to apply them to the assets/setups created
- Desire and ability to work with multiple game editors and learn new technology
- Ability and desire to work in creative and collaborative teams
- Ability to receive feedback, implement any requested changes and clearly communicate ideas
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Working knowledge of photography fundamentals
- Shipped one or more AAA titles in the last three years
- Experience with HDR Lighting
- Photogrammetry skills
- Environment art experience
- Knowledge of the physics of light
This is a non-exempt position that will be paid by a 3rd party vendor.
This role is based in Austin, TX.
The contractor will be responsible for housing costs and relocation if needed.