Gameplay Systems Designer
Would you like to work on some of the biggest franchises in gaming? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, Texas, is opening a location in Toronto, Canada and we’re looking for exceptionally talented people to join us. Our Toronto studio will collaborate with our Austin location, and together we’ll be co-developing AAA FPS games and creating our own compelling new IP.
Certain Affinity is seeking a Gameplay Systems Designer with extensive experience designing and implementing gameplay systems for both single and multiplayer games. This is a rare opportunity to join a world-class independent developer with one of the strongest multiplayer design teams in the industry. Help us reach new heights by increasing our strength in designing fun and accessible gameplay systems for players to enjoy for many years to come.
- Work closely with the Creative Director and Lead Designer to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player mechanics, game mechanics, game modes, inventory systems, etc.
- Must be able to design, implement, and iterate gameplay elements including but not limited to combat mechanics, player and NPC abilities, collectibles, and player progression
- Create design documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and the vision of the system for clients, internal developers, marketing and external developers
- Analyze data and player feedback to continually optimize and improve the existing game experience
- 3+ years of game design experience, including 2+ with gameplay systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer.
- Strong experience scripting systems using Unreal Blueprints in a networked game. You must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs!
- Proven ability to create innovative gameplay systems and to enhance existing ones
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Proficient with various scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, Blueprint, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the documentation of technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Experience designing player character classes or enemy and/or NPC AI.
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple
console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background