Lead Single-Player Level Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity, the largest independent video game developer in Austin, is comprised of a tightly knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
Would you like to work on a high-profile FPS for the next generation of consoles? Do you have a passion for creating amazing single-player gameplay? Certain Affinity is looking for an experienced, positive Lead Level Designer to manage a team of single-player FPS designers. This person will collaborate with the Design and Creative leads to develop missions and levels consistent with the creative vision of the game and its gameplay objectives.
As Lead Single Player Level Designer at Certain Affinity, you are responsible for creating, managing, and directing multiple reports while contributing your own levels. You will work extensively with the mission, gameplay, and world teams to develop requirements for in-game spaces. Your wide range of skills encompasses both the creative and technical worlds, allowing you to successfully arrange and balance the flow of game spaces so that both players, AI, and mission systems have cohesive experience.
If you have extensive experience creating and directing SP level designs, considerable leadership experience, are eager to have an impact, are motivated to support the needs of both development teams and external partners, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Create, direct and manage the development of single-player game levels for a AAA shooter
- Manage the day to day tasks of a level design team including best practices, success criteria, performance targets and commitment to milestone deliverables
- Collaborate with the development team to brainstorm creative ways to implement and showcase the game’s core mechanics through level design
- Drive the design and creative process for game levels, working with other teams to create objectives, challenges, puzzles, and events that fit within game spaces
- Collaborate with the narrative and mission team of designers, engineers, cinematic artists, and writers to ensure the local and overarching narrative is being told in the levels
- Assist the Lead Game Designer in reviewing levels, as well as full builds of the game and providing weekly feedback to the project leads and development team
- Help drive playtests to gather critical level feedback from players and develop a plan of action to address issues
- At least five years of experience as a level designer and two years of experience as a Lead Level Designer
- Shipped at least one AAA Shooter PC or console title in a Lead Level Designer role
- Shipped at least one title in Unreal 4
- Experience setting up encounters, AI, puzzles and gameplay utilizing Blueprints
- Experience leading and supporting a quality-driven team
- Ability to produce clear and concise level design documentation illustrating gameplay mechanics, mission walkthroughs, cinematic moments, and player experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and methodology
- Ability to collaborate with cross-discipline teams including art, audio, engineering, and narrative
- Thrives in a highly iterative, highly collaborative environment
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Passionate about gaming and game development
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience in design, game development, or architecture
- Experience developing for Xbox One or PS4
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.