External Lead Designer
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity is an exclusive, independent Austin developer comprised of a tightly-knit group of experienced, no-nonsense veterans committed to solid work/life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Lead External Designer at Certain Affinity you are responsible for directing, managing, and providing detailed feedback on game design features and content for external co-development partners. You serve as the conduit between internal development teams and external co-developers, providing regular check-in points between the studios to ensure consistency, drive for quality, and direction. You are also willing and able to get your hands dirty creating systems/features and helping partners in a pinch, including implementing content, when the need arises.
If you are an experienced game designer with experience in managing and directing external development, have strong leadership skills, eager to have an impact, excited by the prospect of supplementing and enhancing internal development teams through strong external partners, and of course, you are open to new challenges, we’d love to hear from you.
- Work with other outsourcing/external managers, and with studio directors and members of the business team to help identify, evaluate, and build relationships with potential co-development partners.
- Direct, manage, gather, and provide feedback to external co-developers regarding the design and implementation of their gameplay systems, features, and content.
- Provide onsite training for our external co-development partners with regards to our tools and pipelines, design systems and mechanics, and our general workflow and process.
- Get hands-on to help external partners with designing and implementing systems and content as needed.
- Work with a project’s leadership team to determine the scope of work, schedule, and quality metrics for external development partners.
- Help develop, present, review, and approve milestone submissions by our external co-development partners.
- Act as the point person for communication between our internal development team and external co-development partners.
- Work with a project’s Game Director and Lead Designer to ensure external partners are delivering content that fits within the constraints, quality bar, and needs of their projects.
- Ensure that all teams are constantly up-to-date about changes in the game and status of each studio’s responsibilities.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally, including spending extended periods of time on site with partners
- Highly organized, with strong communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership position and at least 1 year of experience in outsource management within gaming
- Shipped at least two AAA First and/or Third Person action games on console or PC in a design capacity with demonstrable hands-on work
- Development experience in commercial game engines and technologies such as Unreal or Unity3D
- Detail-oriented with an eye for quality and ability to review deliverables critically looking at quality and accuracy
- Experience with project management and delivering to required schedules and deadlines
- Highly self-motivated with a proven ability to self-direct and self-manage
- Unreal Engine 4 proficiency
- Bilingual or Polyglot; bonus for an ability to speak Russian, Mandarin, German, and/or Spanish
- High level of cross-cultural knowledge and experience, and an experienced international traveler
- Relevant degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience in design, game development, or engineering
- Experience with a broad range of areas of design (level design, UX/UI, encounter scripting, etc.)
- Experience in systems modeling or simulation, data analytics, or statistical analysis
- Experience developing ‘Games as a Service’ products
- An avid gamer with interest and expertise in a broad range of game genres
Certain Affinity offers relocation for this position to Austin, Texas where we make it all happen.