Data Architecture Engineer (Database Administrator) IV/V
BioFire Diagnostics, LLC. is looking for a Database Administrator IV/V to join our growing IT team!
The Database Administrator IV/V designs, implements, and maintains data systems for BioFire Diagnostics.
The person in this position acts as a technical lead on all activities relating to database administration, including the implementation and maintenance of new database systems and data platforms and the maintenance and continual improvement of existing data systems. They work closely with data producers and consumers throughout the organization by advising on and implementing data-driven solutions both on-premises and in the cloud. They understand business requirements and ensure that requirements are recorded. They provide functional, reliable, and well-maintained databases that span multiple areas of the business.
The person in this position is expected to learn the BioFire business and to make decisions in line with company objectives. They will partner with business and technical teams to meet company and department goals. They are expected to work in a friendly, helpful and professional manner with all BioFire personnel.
Database Administrators are expected to maintain a firm grasp on current technologies and best practices and to continually improve their skills within the field of database management and data architecture. They will also mentor junior engineers to increase the overall skill level at BioFire Diagnostics.
The Database Administrator is responsible for participating in a 24x7 support environment.
Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of BioFire Diagnostics’ Quality System.
- Perform duties as detailed in BioFire Diagnostics’ technical mission and Code of Business Conduct.
- Establish, maintain and monitor service level agreements for multiple organizational stakeholders.
- Monitor and respond to relevant escalated support issues.
- Work with BioFire personnel to define and implement data solutions to meet business needs.
- Actively seek ways to improve BioFire’s data management practices.
- Maintain BioFire Diagnostics’ enterprise databases, data warehouses, and associated technology assets.
- Lead and participate in departmental and corporate projects and help see them to successful completion.
- Act as the technical lead on database administration activities.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of networking, application, and database concepts, as well as an understanding of systems lifecycles.
- Advise the IT leadership on best practices and areas for improvement
- Plan for the growth needs of the databases, data platforms, and associated infrastructure.
- Seek to mentor and support the education and experience of other data engineers.
- Continually update technical knowledge and skills and suggest improvements to existing systems
- Monitor and manage the data lifecycle, including backups, retention policies, and pruning policies for data systems
- Help plan, develop, and maintain disaster recovery plans for all data systems.
- Participate as needed in the Data Governance Committee and the Change Advisory Boards.
- Help manage and maintain data systems on Azure and Amazon data platforms.
- Help maintain a 24x7 support environment.
- Lead and participate in information technology infrastructure, systems, services, and support discussions and work with the team to implement appropriate decisions.
- Make strategic and tactical recommendations to the Manager of Data Architecture.
Training and Education:
Database Administrator IV/V
Requires Bachelor of Science in a technical field, OR equivalent industry experience and/or certifications.
Examples of acceptable certifications include, but are not limited to:
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) SQL Database Administration
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) Data Management and Analytics
- Microsoft Certified Azure Fundamentals
- Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified Azure Developer Associate
- Microsoft Certified Azure Solution Architect
- Microsoft Certified Azure Security Engineer Associate
- ITIL Foundation Certification
- ITIL Intermediate Certification
- ITIL MALC Examination
- ITIL Expert Certification
- Project Management Institute (PMI) / Project Management Professional (PMP)
Database Administrator IV
Requires 4+ years of work experience in database architecture or related field
Database Administrator V
Requires 6+ years of work experience in database architecture or related field.
Database Administrator IV/V
- Implementing and maintaining Microsoft SQL Server infrastructure
- Security principles related to data
- Database performance monitoring and troubleshooting
- Creating advanced SQL queries
- Database system and query performance tuning
- Implementing and maintaining cloud infrastructures for data systems - Microsoft Azure and/or Amazon data systems and tools management, or other industry-standard cloud platforms
- General understanding of networking and servers and the impacts on data systems
- Understanding of SDLC and software release management
Customer service skills:
- Must be able to interact with end users and staff in a professional, friendly manner.
- Excellent communication abilities, both written and verbal, including the ability to communicate highly technical information to a diverse group of technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Infrastructure Management Skills:
- Must be able to support the monitoring, maintenance, patching, upgrading, and tuning of databases and data systems.
Project Management Skills:
- Understanding of and experience with the budgeting process, including capital expenditures, recurring expenses, and the approval process for each
- Thorough understanding of ITIL practices, including practical knowledge of general management, service management, and technical management components
- Understanding of and experience with project management, including project initiation, requirements gathering, project scoping, deliverables, communication, timelines, coordination and project closure.
BioFire Diagnostics, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please be advised that the receipt of satisfactory responses to reference requests and the provision of satisfactory proof of an applicant’s identity and legal authorization to work in the United States are required of all new hires. Any misrepresentation, falsification, or material omission may result in the failure to receive an offer, the retraction of an offer, or if already hired, dismissal. If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you may request a reasonable accommodation in BioFire Diagnostics’ application process by contacting us via telephone at (385) 770-1132, by email at email@example.com, or by dialing 711 for access to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS).