Associate Director/Director - Health Care Research
The strategic research arm of the global communications firm is seeking an Associate Director / Director, Health Care Research to join its team in Chicago, New York, Seattle, Raleigh, or Washington, D.C. offices.
Our Associate Directors / Directors play a key role in leading client engagements, including setting the vision for deliverables and presenting research-based insights to clients. In addition to engaging and managing clients, our Associate Directors / Directors play a strong project management role and participate directly -- with the assistance of project support staff -- in the designing, executing and overseeing quantitative and qualitative research projects. Lastly, we look to Associate Directors / Directors to inspire and develop those they work with, as well as provide thought leadership for the broader firm.
About half to three-quarters-time will be devoted to managing syndicated research projects with the remainder of the time devoted to custom qualitative and quantitative research projects. While this position is primarily focused on clients in the healthcare space (pharmaceutical companies, payers, MD&D, etc.) there is an opportunity to engage clients and work on projects outside the healthcare industry.
- Oversee and manage all phases of research projects from inception, design, data collection, analysis, reporting, and presentation of strategic insights;
- Oversee external research partners to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data collected;
- Design research methodologies and analysis plans to produce meaningful insights into clients’ business challenges;
- Provide insight-driven recommendations to clients;
- Manage and grow a portfolio of existing client projects as well as identify and develop new business opportunities;
- Create compelling presentations and marketing materials for syndicated research projects; and
- Mentor / train junior team members.
- Proven ability to manage all aspects of the research process including sample design, vendor management, oversee data processing, and report production
- Strong project management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects with tight timelines;
- Strong proficiency in all aspects of survey research and methods – questionnaire construction, sample design, data collection management, data analysis, and reporting;
- Ability to identify and design the appropriate research methodology (qualitative and quantitative) to answer clients’ business needs;
- Thorough knowledge of R, SPSS, STATA and/or SAS;
- Ability to draw insights from data and communicate them in a compelling way to a “lay” audience;
- Strong business acumen and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 7+ years of relevant research experience;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field; and
- Master's degree and/or graduate work in a relevant field (survey research, international relations, sociology, psychology, political science, public affairs, market research, etc.) is preferred, but not required.
Our research team is currently about 20 professionals, situated in a larger communications consultancy. We employ rigorous methodologies in our work. The quality of the research – and the clear strategic guidance we offer clients – is the principal reason for Insight’s continued growth. We conduct research for major corporations, major corporations, governments, trade associations, and non-profits in the following subject areas:
- Corporate Reputation / Corporate Branding. This often includes advanced modeling of corporate reputation attributes, but can also involve more traditional survey research evaluating gap analyses and other means.
- Message Development. For a wide variety of issues, Insight does message development work – both qualitative and qualitative – where we evaluate how specific messages are associated with favorable movement by key audiences.
- Public Policy. Managing issues, like mergers and acquisitions or the passing of regulations or legislations favorable to our clients is a core expertise. We help our client create and execute successful public affairs campaigns.
- Advertising Impact and Creative. Tracking how advertising impact corporate reputation or other key metrics. In addition, Insight tests advertising at the conceptual stage and evaluates creative options.
- Consulting. A key strength for Insight is the ongoing consulting that evolves from our research relationships. Because we sit within a larger communications firm, we work closely with several large clients on both communications strategy and implementation.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions and reputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.