Consultant - Public Affairs
We have an immediate opportunity for a public relations and strategic communications professional with 3-6 years of experience developing strong writing, media, and project management skills. This experienced professional will join our growing Public Affairs practice in our Washington D.C., headquarters.
What we’re looking for: A hard-working, versatile professional who is self-directed and embraces a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. You have experience managing work streams while also serving in a key role on major issues-based projects. You have a desire to learn and grow – both across industries and communication mediums, such as traditional media, social/digital media, issues advocacy, and stakeholder communications. You know how to work with clients and have a positive, go-getter attitude.
What we bring you: One of D.C.’s best places to work and ranked the 2017 Public Affairs Agency of the Year by The Holmes Report, with smart, fun colleagues and opportunities to work with people around the country and across the globe. Amazing in-house opinion research, creative and resources as part of your team. The chance to work on some of the hottest, most challenging issues of the day for leading companies and associations. An opportunity to shine, succeed and chart your course based on what you bring to the table not where you sit on the org chart.
- Support and implement a wide range of strategic communications and issues management campaigns for our high profile, globally recognized clients
- Provide the highest level of client service on a daily basis through proactive account management, serving as the key client contact while also managing staff (both senior and junior) to successfully maintain and grow client relationships
- Produce high-quality written deliverables, such as press materials, messaging toolkits, social media strategies, and advocacy communications, often under tight deadlines
- Take ownership of media relations efforts including cultivating relationships with media, drafting op-eds and talking points, organizing press conferences, and more
- Proactively monitor developments in key client issue areas and flag opportunities for further client engagement
- Closely manage client budgets, ensuring that projects and corresponding staffing are within allotted budgets
- Participate in business development activities including writing proposals and developing pitch decks
- 3-6 years of public affairs, strategic communications, or media experience. Agency experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Exceptional writing and analytical skills, and the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight deadlines
- Solid project management experience, including overseeing a team and multiple deliverables
- Strong presentation skills
- Previous experience developing strategic communications plans across various industries and subject areas (healthcare, travel, technology, transportation, energy, etc.)
APCO Worldwide is a global communication consultancy. We help the most innovative organizations adapt and thrive in this fast-moving, interconnected and complex world. We do this for all types of organizations, in all industries and in all situations. We partner with clients to guide them through a changing, complex global environment, enabling them to reach their business and societal goals. We bring our clients' work to life creatively and digitally through diverse thinking and a campaign mentality that embraces a variety of integrated tactics to achieve success. Our work impacts bottom lines; creates and protects jobs; defines issues important to society; improves workplaces and communities; gains visibility for and gives voice to those who may not typically be heard; and much more. Simply put, our work is impactful, meaningful, and problem-solving or opportunity-creating. APCO is a majority employee- and women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named "Public Affairs Agency of the Year" 2017 “Best Large Agency to Work For” 2013-2014 and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.