Sports Radio Program Director
This position will require a highly creative and curious person to lead our sports/news radio/audio/digital/video brands. While a radio broadcasting background is preferred, a traditional broadcast mindset will not be considered. Knowledge of PPM Nielsen ratings, format clock tinkering and liner card writing are appreciated, however, these basic skills are expected and minimal to the essence of this position. The position expands far beyond traditional “programming elements” and will require a very bold, strategic thinker that can capture the attention of the LOCAL market utilizing numerous platforms and multiple brands. Our sports brands include: two sports radio stations, a podcast network along with a 24/7 local sports television operation and one of the largest local sports websites in the southeast. Our recently launched “news radio” utilizes the assets of the largest local newsroom in the Southeast of WRAL-TV – our sister station. You will manage/coach local talent across different departments. You will be the person with the vison to lead the team forward.
Capitol Broadcasting Company is a locally owned company and one of the most innovative in the business. Our assets reach millions in our market every week across numerous platforms. Creativity and innovation lead the way. You will have every tool you need to be successful and our commitment to success is unmatched and unheard of in our industry.
- Ensure that all content is on-brand for each of our platforms (terrestrial and digital).
- Embracing the communities, we serve and extending our brands within the community.
- Daily/weekly coaching of talent across all our platforms providing constructive feedback and establishing standards of performance for each talent and producer. You will be asked to provide written talent reviews on a regular, on-going basis.
- On-going development of innovative, fresh content/sources that can be used across all our platforms. The content generated should bring eyes and ears to our brands and our clients. Your ability to generate multi-platform ideas will be measured by data that includes use and revenue generation for our client base.
- Gather key metrics as it pertains to the performance of our talent and platforms. You will use information, such as statistics about our target customer (clients & listeners) to create multi-media content that raises awareness for our brands and our client’s brands.
- Generate website and social media growth in a consistent and measurable way.
Core Skills Needed:
- Creativity: You are a highly creative person that can generate unique ideas to build the brand and image for our audio/video/social platforms and clients. Ideas sell, and you will need to be very creative in finding ways to reach and interact in a world of clutter. You understand that a “traditional radio mindset” no longer brings success or builds our future. You will need to provide specific examples of such mindset (with data support) of several creative ideas that you executed to build a brand and generate revenue for a brand. Working hand-in-hand with our sales department is mandatory to achieve our objectives for our marketing partners.
- Curiosity: You are always curious about everything. You are restless. You will not settle for doing things the same old way. You are bored when not challenged or moving forward. You are always curious about a new way to do things and what captivates people’s attention. You will apply this trait to gain listeners and assist our clients.
- Leadership: You have done or can do every job you ask of your team. Not only have you done those jobs – you will join alongside your team on any given day. You take chances and know how to fail fast and move on. You run your department like you own the business. You recognize honesty with your team will always bring out the best in your team. You understand your primary goal is to grow talent, train and lead by example.
Management Skills: Minimum of five years’ experience in broadcast/on-line/social media management is needed for this position. You must have a previous track record of successfully managing/leading a large staff to be considered for this position.
Technical skills: Included, but not limited to; ability to edit audio, video, photos, understanding of Adobe Audition, Audio Vault and social media platforms and integrations. You will be asked to provide specific examples of items/assets that you created that demonstrate your ability in these areas.
Creative writing skills: Your writing style is concise and attention grabbing. You will be asked to provide multiple examples of your writing skills and a finished product of how they were ultimately produced and presented for your brands. You will need to provide examples of station brand imaging that you wrote for both the spoken word format.
Talent Coaching/Training: You have experience in working/coaching air/podcast talent on a regular basis. Occasional “aircheck/coaching session” philosophy will not suffice. You will be required to submit general coaching philosophy along with actual coaching notes/critiques. You have experience in coaching/leading talent from the spoken word format and understand the importance of coaching talent on a consistent basis.
Organizational Skills: Be honest with yourself. If you do not have organizational skills at the highest level, please do not apply. With two sports stations, television, podcasting, digital platforms, talent coaching, promotions, a recently launched news station and sales/marketing needs, this position requires outstanding organizational and execution skills. If you don’t have organizational skills mastered at the absolute highest level, you will not achieve success in this position.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work at CBC. If there is a medical or religious reason preventing you from receiving an available COVID-19 vaccination, and you are selected as a candidate for consideration, we have an accommodations process in place to evaluate those requests.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality and Bull Durham Beer Co., and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC; and Professional Builders Supply (an equity partnership) in Morrisville, NC.