We are looking for an experienced Radio Frequency (RF) Engineer to join our Engineering and Operations team. The desired candidate will work closely with other engineering disciplines to install, manage, and maintain our communications infrastructure. This role also performs complex RF and electrical engineering tasks by applying engineering principles and techniques and following designated standards and procedures. The RF Engineer will serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in areas such as radio frequency management, satellite and network planning, and regulatory requirements for communications systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for operations and maintenance support for the Network Operations Center (NOC), antenna farms, and transmitter sites.
- Install, manage, and maintain satellite equipment and related telecommunication platforms.
- Prepare and design operational objectives, link budgets, RF specifications, and resource needs for proposals and program execution.
- Analyze RF broadcasting equipment and provide recommendations for test control, engineering strategies, and hardware needs.
- Evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Support system construction, debugging, testing, simulation, hardware troubleshooting, and data analysis.
- Draft engineering procedures, reports, logic flowcharts, and block diagrams on equipment installation and operation.
- Assist with technical training and project support.
Required Skills & Experience
- A degree in Engineering, Broadcasting, Satellite Communications, or an IT-related discipline is preferred.
- Must have at least 8 years of experience in RF engineering or military equivalent experience. Experience working in a teleport or earth station environment is preferred.
- Experience supporting RF components and systems, including multiple frequency bands (X/C/Ku/Ka) receive and transmit schemes.
- Practice and familiarity in the following areas: high-performance amplifiers, filters, switched filter banks, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, satellite antennas, power systems, generators, synthesizers, or frequency converters.
- Proficiency with satellite/microwave antennas, transmitters, and related technologies, including tube/GaN/solid-state amplifiers, Klystron, modulation, frequency converters, high voltage, tuning, and construction of waveguide components.
- Ability to use electronic test equipment for troubleshooting transmit and receive systems.
- Working knowledge of CAD or similar drafting software.
- Knowledge of technical infrastructures, including analog and digital satellite transmission systems, teleport operations, capacity planning, digital video encoding and processing, telco interfacing, and IP standards for audio, data, and video transmissions.
- Working knowledge of government rules and regulations, such as FCC, OSHA, EPA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Good troubleshooting and communication skills.
- Some travel may be required.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work at CBC. If there is a medical or religious reason preventing you from receiving an available COVID-19 vaccination, and you are selected as a candidate for consideration, we have an accommodations process in place to evaluate those requests.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco-free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company that owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality and Bull Durham Beer Co., and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC; and Professional Builders Supply (an equity partnership) in Morrisville, NC.