WRAL Digital Controller
WRAL is seeking an experienced and team-oriented accounting professional responsible for managing all operational financial aspects of WRAL Digital business. Looking for someone who thrives at being a “strategic partner” to the WRAL Digital General Manager and other key Digital managers with an emphasis on setting each other up for success. Success at this role will require a focus on building meaningful relationships, committing to an environment of continuous improvement, and providing timely support that results in superior outcomes.
In addition, the Digital Controller will assist the TV Controller as needed. Responsibilities also include managing and developing one team member and coaching the other two team members as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead Monthly Closing, Forecast and Annual Budget for WRAL Digital and WILM TV (roughly 25% of job)
- Responsible for leading and owning the monthly close process for WRAL Digital and WILM TV including standard monthly journal entries and accruals as it relates to revenue and receivables.
- Review account detail and provide explanation of any material variances.
- Manage and prepare annual budget for WRAL Digital and WILM TV
- Assist TV Controller with the monthly close and annual budget process as needed for TV Business Units.
- Team Lead for year-end Audit for WRAL Digital and TV Business Unit (5%)
- Lead and own year-end audit, including reviewing audit schedules and assuring prepared accurately and timely. Track auditor’s needs, assign to appropriate accounting personnel, and follow up to assure auditors questions are answered timely.
- Prepare meaningful monthly and quarterly analysis for WRAL Digital for senior management, fully supporting the General Manager and other employees in those business units (roughly 20% of job)
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial dashboard reports for Corporate F&A and Senior Management which may include key metrics, variance analysis and information relevant to the operation and financial performance of the business unit.
- Strive to become strategic partners to Digital management, by collaborating with team members, anchored by accountability and trust.
- Seek proactive and purposeful communication with team members and management with a goal of understanding and adding value to the business and management by using transparent communication.
- Prepare monthly analysis of Sales bonuses and compensation, comparing to budget as well as prior years.
- Serve as the primary station interface for Accounts Receivable Management -Aging Management, Credit and Collections (roughly 20% of job)
- Manage the daily operations and strategic objectives of the Company’s accounts receivable cycle through design, implementation, maintenance and management of all accounts receivable business functions and procedures for the Accounts receivable billing and collection process.
- Communicate effectively with sales staff and clients to assure that we maintain strong relationships but work to resolve any issues in a timely manner, while still complying with company policies and procedures.
- Identify opportunities to update and strengthen internal processes and controls regarding billing, credit, collections, and aging management.
- Review aging regularly assuring that customer account balances are accurately reflected, and credits applied in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly DSO analysis and provide written analysis on any changes or trends.
- Prepare and review monthly A/R reconciliations prepared by other team members.
- Special Projects and Higher-Level F&A Support for TV Division (roughly 20% of job)
- Special projects will concentrate on partnering with TV Group Controller and Corporate F&A as needed.
- Identify process improvements and help manage process improvements initiated by Corporate F&A.
- Payroll Processing (roughly 10% of job)
- Facilitate smooth operation of payroll and time/PTO reporting ensuring all employees are paid accurately and timely, including anticipating new practices or risk areas, proactively reviewing each payroll run in advance, and actively serving as the primary station interface between station personnel and corporate payroll personnel.
Successful candidates will have experience:
- Building and optimizing processes for early-stage company in a scalable way
- Managing relationship/partnership with sales and management
- Leading/influencing across functional teams that are outside of finance/accounting.
- Contributing at a granular, “in-the-weeds” level as well as a “big-picture” high level
- Being proactive and taking ownership of projects and initiatives with minimal oversight
- Establishing and reporting monthly sales benchmarks (ex. churn, DSO, ROI per Account Executive)
- BS or BA degree in accounting from a four-year college or university, CPA License preferred.
- Minimum total 7-10 years of experience in public accounting and accounting management role in industry including supervisory experience.
- Strong PC Skills, including intermediate Excel analytical and modeling capabilities.
- Experience as a user of Oracle Cloud Financials preferred Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service and Oracle Smart View a plus.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAZ-TV, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WNGT-CD, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, WRAL Digital and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and Coastal Plain League in Durham, NC; The Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.