WRAL News Director
WRAL, home of the award-winning, ratings leading WRAL News team has a rare opportunity for a dynamic, progressive, innovative News Director to lead our newsroom.
WRAL is located in Raleigh, North Carolina, a city ranked consistently as one of the best places to live in America. WRAL is locally owned by industry renowned Capitol Broadcasting Company. CBC is known as an innovative, bold, future-thinking company, interested in transforming media and positively impacting our local community. WRAL and CBC also provide some of the best benefits in the business and a campus and culture of inclusivity and support.
We are looking for a dynamic news professional with strong leadership skills and a passion for local news. WRAL takes extreme pride in our content and our ratings. Our team is experienced and committed to serving our local audience. We achieve about 2/3 of the news viewership in the market and have the dominant local media digital platforms in the state.
This position is really a CEO of news in one of the best newsrooms in the country, overseeing a staff of more than 150 people and an enterprise team of more than 20 reporters and editors. We have an outstanding reputation throughout the community and have a history of stability in leadership roles. Our current news director has been at the station since 1995 and just announced his plans to retire.
- Lead, mentor and develop the current and upcoming generation of journalists.
- Oversee and manage news coverage for WRAL News across our TV, digital, OTT and social platforms.
- Make editorial decisions on content.
- Execute Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans.
- Plan and execute ‘Big Story‘coverage.
- Participate in editorial and planning meetings.
- Monitor newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards.
- Create and implement strategic plans for newsroom operations.
- Develop and implement measurable strategies for audience growth.
- Create strategies to increase key demo performance.
- Adapt current resources to emerging technology.
- Develop and control the annual budget.
- Work closely with management team to develop and meet departmental and station goals.
- Provide regular feedback for direct reports with ultimate responsibility for all newsroom personnel.
- Foster open dialogue, empower others, address conflict quickly and directly.
- Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product.
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your vision.
- Be a trustworthy motivator who fosters an inspiring and inclusive culture.
- Build and maintain relationships to foster a positive news image in the community.
- At least 5 years of News Management experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to track and select trending news stories.
- Ability to multi-task in high stress situations.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays as news requires.
- Desire to Win.
WRAL is a legacy station, on the cutting edge of television’s future. WRAL was the first in the nation to broadcast television news in High Definition. WRAL is always working to provide next level news coverage, including using our Virtual/Augmented Reality studio to bring energy to our showcasing of stories, and a fleet of resources to cover breaking news. WRAL has the largest team of meteorologists in North Carolina; and a team of In-Depth Specialists to help you bring depth and perspective to tell the important stories involving politics, education, climate change and more.
Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill offer lots of entertainment. Enjoy eating out at a number of world-renowned restaurants, live outdoor concerts, museums, and lots of parks and hiking trails. It’s also a great place for sports lovers with everything from hockey to soccer, to basketball and baseball. WRAL is also the official partner of the Carolina Panthers.
Capitol Broadcasting Company is committed to providing a rewarding, respectful and inclusive work environment for our close to 500 employees. Capitol Broadcasting Company’s family of brands includes digital, radio, real estate, satellite and data, sports and television. Capitol Broadcasting Company also works to be a driving force in the community, working as a catalyst for positive change.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAZ-TV, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WNGT-CD, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, WRAL Digital and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and Coastal Plain League in Durham, NC; The Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.