People come to WRAL and they stay. Why? We’re family. We have extraordinary expectations of each other and accept nothing short of excellence. Meshing with our standout team is as important as your skills. We’re locally owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, a pioneering, stable, community advocate, do-the-right-thing Company that offers some of the best benefits in the business. WRAL is based out of Raleigh, NC, ranked as one of the best places to live and work according to U.S. News & World Report.
The Multiplatform Producer is part of the team that works directly with WRAL’s digital platforms: websites, mobile apps and social media. This person spends about half of their time creating original content primarily for web and apps and the other half updating our digital platforms.
- Write, edit and post news stories using AP Style from a variety of sources, including WRAL-TV, web curation, original reporting, network news partners, social media and wire services, with an emphasis on delivering breaking news and enterprise news quickly and accurately to WRAL.com users and our social media platforms.
- Embrace unique and compelling ways to present content using text, video, photos and interactive elements that stand out and get attention on the WRAL.com home page and can get traction on social media platforms.
- Find and pitch innovative angles with timely stories.
- Be a strong storyteller who gets Facebook, Crowd Tangle and can sniff out a story from social listening along with an innate ability to find and write viral stories for digital, social and television, leveraging the best style practices of each
- Conceive, create and post original video for WRAL.com and our social media platforms by leveraging content from WRAL-TV, online video platforms and our network news partners.
- Select and edit compelling images, create photo galleries, online polls and quizzes to augment online articles and increase page engagement.
- Have a firm grasp of SEO and apply it when crafting headlines, online stories and other supporting content that helps drive search traffic to WRAL.com.
- Help manage WRAL social media channels while interacting with fans/followers.
- Perform other duties as needed and directed.
- Strong desire to create/manage digital content that is engaging and resonates with users.
- Must be a self-starter who can generate compelling story ideas with no or minimal supervision.
- Must be excellent at time management and project management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to learn new things and embrace new workflows based on industry changes.
- A sense of humor.
- Experience using video editing software, like Adobe Premiere would be helpful.
- 2-4 years of experience in a newsroom with a significant digital operation,
- Ability to multi-task, remain calm under pressure and be able to write several stories a day as well as the ability to craft longer form stories.
- Ability to work well with others and take direction for assignment completion.
- The ability to use real-time and historical analytics to guide site programming and content creation decisions.
- Experience with content management systems, HTML, image creation/editing, social media platforms.
- Experience with video creation and editing software, including Adobe Premiere and/or other video software programs.
- Must be able to work all shifts, including days, nights, weekend and holidays.
A mastery of AP style, a basic understanding of television and digital production and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a breaking news environment is required. A writing test may be required.
A pre-employment drug screening is required. EOE, M/F. All Capitol Broadcasting Company properties are tobacco free. Capitol Broadcasting Company participates in E-Verify.
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. is a diversified communications company which owns and/or operates WRAL-TV, WRAL Digital, WRAZ-TV, WRAZ Digital, WRAL-FM, WRAL-HD2, WCMC-FM, WCMC-HD1, WDNC-AM, WCMC-HD2, WCMC-HD3, WCLY-AM, WCMC-HD4, Microspace, CBC New Media Group and Wolfpack Sports Properties (a joint venture with Learfield) in Raleigh, NC; WILM-TV, WILT-LD and Sunrise Broadcasting in Wilmington, NC; The Durham Bulls Baseball Club, Bull City Hospitality, and the American Underground startup hub in Durham, NC; Holly Springs Salamanders in Holly Springs, NC; and real estate interests including the American Tobacco Historic District in Durham, NC, and Rocky Mount Mills in Rocky Mount, NC.