Project Engineer - Energy Storage
Job Description – Canadian Solar SSES (US) Inc.
Reports To:Director of Engineering
Location: Walnut Creek, New Jersey, Austin, (remote can be considered based on candidate)
The Project Engineer is part of a cross functional team that focuses on evaluating, defining & executing battery storage projects with market leading technologies. You will be responsible for all engineering activities of Storage projects from the design phase through to commissioning to ensure successful project execution.
• Lead and assist with the development of technical specifications, vendor reviews, supplier qualifications, etc, including testing and commissioning aspects of energy storage projects.
• Support teams throughout the development, contracts, RFP’s, contracting and negotiations of energy storage execution projects.
• Support procurement activities by managing supplier information gathering, generating RFPs, technical requirement documents and maintaining supplier Q&A logs.
• Review and evaluate technical aspects of EPC bidder’s proposals pertaining to energy storage during the course of EPC selection.
During Project Execution:
• Manage the development, coordination, review, and technical oversight of all engineering and design of one or more contracted energy storage projects.
• Work closely with Project Managers, Engineers, Clients, AHJs, and others to meet the contractual commitments.
• Manage Engineering Consultant and host weekly coordination meetings.
• Develop and/or review System designs, Single Lines, Layouts, Containerization, Performance guarantees, Project level studies, etc.
• Review/coordinate design and other technical information from suppliers and contractors.
• Prepare commissioning plan to coordinate all commissioning activities and performance testing.
• Support the resolution of installation and commissioning technical issues.
• Improve procedures/processes used in project execution.
• Initiate/review/approve the work of consultants used on ESS projects.
• Train/mentor other less experienced staff.
• Maintain knowledge of applicable codes & standards and certifications in the Energy Storage industry.
• Identify gaps in scope and responsibility to ensure project success. This requires a comprehensive understanding of engineering, construction, and permitting concepts and rules of conduct.
• Able to identify key stakeholders and drive innovative solutions with cross functional teams.
• Interface with internal customers (project managers, product engineers, sales team) and external customers (utilities, AHJs, contractors, end customers) to ensure consistent communication.
• Travel to project sites and stakeholder meetings as needed.
• Maintain and develop key strategic relationships with major vendors, suppliers, and contractors throughout the energy storage industry.
• Support value-engineering approach when designing energy storage systems in multiple project-specific use cases.
Qualifications and Experience:
• BS in an engineering field or equivalent experience/practical knowledge.
• 5-10 years of relevant experience in project and/or systems engineering within Energy Storage integrator or EPC contractor.
• Direct experience in battery storage systems, medium voltage stations, and/or related products/systems.
• Proficient in the specification, technical bid analysis and procurement of major equipment such as inverter, transformers, switchgear etc...
• Must have a sound understanding of commissioning, and testing of Energy Storage projects.
• Proficient in construction project management (Submittals, RFIs, Change Order, Non Conformance, As built)
• Proficient in MV Electrical Installations, Ampacity Calculations, Short circuit/load flow, Protective Device Coordination, Arc Flash, Grounding per IEEE80 and other relevant design topics.
• Exceptional technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand engineering schematics, technical advisory reports and technology reviews.
• Proficient in AutoCAD or related software.
• Practical hands-on experience on system engineering and solid understanding of related regulatory standards including NEC/UL code compliance.
• Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
• A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
• An efficient team member with high regard for ethics, integrity, and finesse.
• A dynamic professional with the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
• Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
• An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.
The company reserves the right to change the duties and responsibilities of this position at its own discretion.