Senior Applications Engineer (Energy Storage)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and battery energy storage solutions. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar and energy storage needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
The Senior Applications Engineer provides technical expertise to support Canadian Solar’s energy storage solutions. This position will be responsible for the pre-sales activities of utility-scale Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) including system sizing, data analysis, conceptual design, and value engineering.
Work closely with the commercial and engineering teams to drive pre-sales engineering & design efforts, help develop proposals for new storage project opportunities, and provide technical support to respond to customer needs.
- Serve as a technical liaison for the Sales team to customers, and an expert resource for general product specifications and value engineering discussions.
- Analyze RFP or other customer documentation to determine project scope, schedule, specifications, risk, and technical requirements.
- Prepare technical documentation for proposals and coordinate the bid package preparation with other departments.
- Prepare, review and negotiate technical contract schedules.
- Work closely with sales staff, engineering, and procurement to ensure complete and shared project understanding and priorities.
- Conduct technical presentations and provide clarifications to customers and other departments.
- Develop size models and conceptual drawings sets (Electrical One-line Diagrams, Site Layouts, etc.) in collaboration with other Applications Engineers.
- In collaboration with the engineering team. establish and maintain the engineering, design criteria and applicable standards and specifications for BESS projects.
- Perform site visits and BESS field inspections as needed. Cost Estimating
- Coordinate in-house estimating activities including relevant drawings and specifications.
- Coordinate major subcontractors RFP including scopes of work for electrical installations and design.
- In collaboration with procurement team, investigate alternate sources for equipment and subcontractors.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (preferably Electrical) discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in applications and/or systems engineering with an energy storage integrator, consulting firm, developer, or OEM.
- Direct experience in utility-scale battery energy storage systems or solar PV plants.
- A background in power electronics or power systems would be a plus.
- Exceptional technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand engineering schematics, technical advisory reports, and technology reviews.
- Solid understanding of regulatory standards in Taiwan related to energy storage and grid-
- interactive inverters.
- Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects and a variety of
- issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.
- Must be bilingual in Mandarin & English – Required
- Ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and