Sr. Project Engineer
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and battery energy storage solutions. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar and energy storage needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy landscape.
Position Title: Senior Project Engineer
Entity: CSI Energy Storage Reports
To: Managing Director
Location: Santiago, Chile (Remote)
The Senior Project Engineer leads all the engineering activities of utility-scale Battery Storage projects in Chile. The candidate will organize and manage the work and act as the key technical liaison with client’s engineer and EPC partners during the design, construction and commissioning phases of the projects. Working closely with the commercial and product engineering team and suppliers, the candidate will plan the engineering activities and work through day-to-day issues.
- Provide technical leadership and authority while representing the engineering team at both internal and external forums.
- Manage engineering consultants or the EPC performing grid interconnection studies as required by utilities and ISOs.
- Support commercial team with technical requirements document review and drafting.
- Recruit employees and oversee their development.
- Develop plans and procedures for design review, quality inspection and commissioning task.
- Support the procurement team in contracting activities by reviewing schedules and cost estimantes.
- Ensure engineering processes and tools are established and standardized.
- Ensure that proper documentation is established for engineering records.
- Develop and maintain relationships with engineering firms in active markets.
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the business unit's success.
- Provide reports to management as required.
- Hold the department accountable for all work and issues relating to professionalism.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering.
- Fluent and Spanish and English.
- Minimum ten year direct technical experience from any of the following industries: Substation or Solar EPC, Engineering firm, Energy Storage integrator or similar.
- Minimum two years of team management experience.
- Working knowledge of the processes and the technical requirements prescribed under the national electricity rules.
- Experience in working with utility requirements for network planning and/or augmentation and generator connections.
- Previous battery system experience is a plus.
- Strong project management and leadership skills.
- Deep knowledge in power system installation, construction, design phase engineering, local jurisdiction requirement, project scheduling, system layout design, SLD etc…
- Thorough understanding and proficiency of local jurisdiction requirements, Fire Code, Safety Certifications, Electrical Safety Regulations, etc.
- Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a wide variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.
- Good technical writing skills and be able to draft working instructions, etc…
- Exceptional ability to simplify and report complicated scenarios to the management team, with outstanding judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Solid and effective interpersonal and communication skills (including oral, written and visual)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally with staff, management, clients, suppliers, community partners and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and the ability to be decisive in crisis situations.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings) and travel to project sites as required.
- Willing and able to travel, domestically and internationally, up to 50% of the time.