Technical Sales Engineer (Utility Scale)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006.
Our Walnut Creek, CA office which is conveniently located near public transportation (BART), is ideally situated for bicycle commuters, there's plenty of free parking, and an abundance of eateries in the surrounding area.
The technical sales engineer will bring their solar product knowledge base to support the technical sales component for Canadian Solar’s utility scale projects. The engineer will be the direct communication link between sales, the customer, and headquarter stakeholders.
- Technical Sales support and 1st level contact for sales for technical or contract related questions
- Visit customers together with sales managers and conduct product presentations, customer training sessions, webinars, and customer events
- PV project design and proposal support
- Close collaboration with Product Management and Technical Services in North America and with HQ teams
- Be the experts in usage and analysis of PVSyst and other PV simulation tools supporting Utility-Scale Solar System design and production analysis
Product Launch & Ready-for-sales Support
- Development of technical sales tools and/or demonstration kit
- Development of Technical sales documentation
- Develop product training materials for customer and their potential end customers, including homeowners and installers
- Help qualify Tracker/Racking suppliers for compatibility with specific PV module types
- Supporting CSI component certifications in collaboration with HQ qualification and certification team
- Will need to support customer system design and installation questions pre-sale
- Advocate of customer needs and requirements
- Follow codes and certifications as they develop; analyze their impact on the market and specific products; make recommendations to management on how to leverage these developments to CSI’s benefit
- Work with the marketing team to launch and communicate new products and their features and measure the introduction and sales success of the existing and new products
Sales Contract Support
- Define, clarify, and optimize technical terms within the contract negotiation in alignment with sales
- Up to 40% of time travel required and off-hours availability for conference calls with overseas teams
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the Canadian Solar Solution Code of Business Conduct
- Adhere to all environmental, health and safety rules and company policies
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in sales engineering, technical sales, or product management, ideally in the utility-scale solar sector within the PV industry
- Installation experience with PV module and battery storage system is a strong plus
- Experience interacting with sales and business development teams and B2B sales channels, and working experience in the utility-scale sales and commercial building industry
- Excellent technical aptitude and ability to quickly learn detailed information about the existing product portfolio and to communicate and answer technical and product related questions and topics
- Understanding and application of financial product calculation – product cost and product sales price definition, analysis and recommendation
- Convincingly and effectively communicate with customers, installers, developers, PV integrators, industry working groups and regulatory authorities
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work with others effectively, also over multiple time zones and with different cultures
- Ability / Willingness to travel (up to 40%)
- Excellent organizational, strategic planning and implementation skills
- Articulate with strong writing and presentation skills. In addition, this manager will possess strong analytical and financial capabilities, be process-oriented and attentive to detail
Compensation & Benefits
Canadian Solar offers a competitive salary plus fully comprehensive benefits and performance bonus package based on an annual objective achievement. Our generous benefits package includes a 401(k) Retirement Plan, medical/dental/life/disability program, PTO, and sick days.
Canadian Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.