Director of Quality, Battery Storage
Canadian Solar, Inc. (CSI or Company) is a vertically-integrated manufacturer of solar photovoltaic modules and a global provider of solar energy solutions. The Company was founded in 2001 in Ontario, Canada and now operates in 20 countries on six continents, employing over 13,000 professionals globally (as of January 2020).
With state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Canada, China, Brazil and South East Asian countries, CSI has module and cell production capacities of over 10 and 9 GW, respectively. Over the past 19 years, Canadian Solar has successfully delivered more than 38GW of premium quality modules to customers in over 150 countries around the world which can provide energy to approximately 10 million households.
CSI is also one of the world’s largest utility-scale solar developers and EPC providers with successful operations in six continents. The Company has successfully completed over 5.5GWp of solar power plants (in 2019), including projects from its subsidiary, Recurrent Energy.
With over $3.7bn in revenue (in 2018), Canadian Solar remains the third largest solar company in the world. The Company is also publicly traded since 2006 (NASDAQ:CSIQ).
Job Title: Director of Quality, Battery Storage
Location: United States
Organizational Chart: Reports to VP & GM System Solutions & Energy Storage
Travel: Up to 25%, domestic and international
The Director of Quality will be responsible for overseeing all quality- and technology-related activities for Canadian Solar’s energy storage systems in North America. Will work in conjunction with the senior leadership team to drive continuous improvement in all aspects of the quality framework.
This is a multi-faceted role which encompasses the management and implementation of quality system; development and implementation of process maps, procedures and tools; management of internal and external quality audits; supervision of quality managers and laboratory professionals; material selection and supplier management; interaction with project development group; and management over budget and scheduling.
Will serve as the primary contact regarding any product quality issue related to energy / battery storage systems. This role will also have a strong interface with the global quality control team.
- Develop and maintain Quality Management System (QMS) for battery storage based on all applicable industry, local, national and international regulatory requirements and standards (such as ISO).
- Set the strategy for quality systems and continuous improvement processes in accordance with Canadian Solar’s overall global quality strategy. Build action plans to improve quality initiatives and present recommendations to senior management.
- Collaborate with technology team to review quality standards in product development and support manufacturing activities.
- Interface with suppliers and manage material and product audits. Ensure highest quality of materials received and/or products produced and recommend the suspension or release of product.
- Understand and evaluate product specifications and investigate any necessary product modifications.
- Collaborate with project and construction managers to ensure implementation of quality programs in energy storage projects. Perform site inspections and validate and deal with quality issues on project sites.
- Conduct periodic reviews and evaluation of quality-related documents.
- Lead direct investigation of any quality-related problems, identify non-compliance issues, and validate root causes.
- Proactively work with global quality assurance team to recommend/implement corrective actions or countermeasures.
- Regularly communicate results and issues with executive management on matters related to quality management.
- Ensure continuous performance analysis and monitoring of KPIs.
- Conduct trainings on topics related to quality programs, initiatives and awareness.
- Prepare and maintain budget related to quality initiatives.
- Analyze current market and technology trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or any technical or related business discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred (or equivalent experience).
- At least 10 years of experience in a quality management capacity within a high-tech manufacturing environment, preferably solar, electronics or electrical industry.
- Product management experience and technical knowledge on battery storage, solar modules, medium voltage stations and/or related products required.
- Field experience related to electrical installations or installation of renewable energy systems.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant quality programs, initiatives and standards as well as advanced understanding of quality principles and quality audit techniques.
- Solid understanding and firsthand experience on Quality Management System (such as ISO) and Quality Assurance disciplines (e.g. Statistical Process Control, Six Sigma, 5S, Kaizen, Value Stream Mapping) would be desirable.
- Strong technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand technical drawings and engineering schematics.
- Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex business issues in a clear/concise manner and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A leader with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives and prepared to be measured against them; be motivated to achieve specific, challenging and focused results personally and for the team; and lead the organization to meet and/or exceed expectations.
- Ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in field and production environments, along with the ability to lead high impact program implementation.
- A practical, hands-on Leader with strong implementation and problem-solving skills, in conjuction with the ability to derive concrete improvement measures.
- Able to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.
- A pragmatic Leader who is comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment. An individual who can think on his/her feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
- A dedicated Director who has strong work ethics; someone who values honesty and integrity.