Vice President of Accounting
The VP Accounting position is responsible for leading the accounting and billing teams and ensuring excellence in the day to day accounting processes for this nation-wide services company. The position reports to the CFO.
This is a high-visibility, high-impact senior role in our accounting team. Areas of focus include driving our cash flow both incoming and outgoing; ensuring a timely, efficient close with highly accurate results; and leading the continuous improvement of the AP, AR, Compliance, Inventory Management and Billing functions.
The person in this role will need to be both 1) “hands on” to occasionally help the team get the work done and 2) “high level” to review the performance of the team and provide insights to the CFO.
The role will also be responsible for a number of other traditional accounting functions including facilitating the annual financial audit; all tax related matters (sales tax reporting, any audits and managing the relationship with the third party preparer); monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting, including financial statements for internal use, as well as template information for our private equity owners.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
- Ensures accuracy of financial information by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Leads team (and adds input) to produce monthly management reports, variance analysis, and account reconciliations; produces lender compliance reporting
- Protects the Company’s assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Limits risk with cash by keeping tight controls over bank balances and cash outflows and reducing DSO in the AR function
- Evaluates and changes processes in teams to drive efficiency, accuracy and customer service improvements throughout
- Provides reports on the financial condition of the Company by collecting, interpreting, and reporting on financial data, including provision of commentary and analysis of results.
- Develops and presents results for key performance indicators dashboard for the accounting functions
- Assesses current financial system structure and identifies changes required, including exploring automation of AP approvals and other efficiencies
- Monitors and identifies issues with corporate credit card program
- Identifies spending concerns on corporate travel program
- Highlights identified risk areas to the CFO
- Supports the work of external auditors by providing timely accurate information and manages the timeline to complete audit in advance of the deadline.
- Ensures compliance with tax laws by establishing calendars, and gaining expertise from internal and external resources; determines where the resource should be placed (internal / external)
- Completes required assignments by delegating work to the team
- Develops an understanding of skills of current team members, determines whether they are a match for their current responsibilities and completes any appropriate coaching or improvement plans
- Determines need for different talent to further streamline processes and workload
- Builds mechanisms to follow up on completion of work assignments
- Recruits, trains and ensures continuous growth of employees
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential
- Participates in and initiates cross-functional team projects
- Completes any other work assigned by the CFO
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Great communication skills
- Able to outline tricky accounting concepts to non-accountants
- Responds thoughtfully on difficult / sensitive issues
- Writes sound an easy to follow technical memos as needed
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Proven ability to build great teams through recruiting, terming, and setting expectations
- Professional demeanor
- Good sense of humor
- Tenacious – keeps pushing diplomatically to ensure the goal is met
- Willing and available to work extra time as needed to complete the job
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- This is largely a sedentary role, requiring use of typical office equipment such as a computer, laptop and cell phone.
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
Education and Experience:
- 10+ years of leading accounting departments in mid-sized companies required. A history of progressing from entry level to leadership positions preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Master’s degree preferred.
- CPA strongly preferred.
- Great Plains experience preferred.
- Strong Excel skills required.
- Public accounting experience with a large regional or Big 4 firm preferred.
- Senior financial role in labor-intensive service business preferred.
- Exposure to inventory costing and provisions analysis preferred.