Bulletproof is an omni-channel content driven consumer products company. Our vision is to tap into the unlimited power of being human and we do this by holding true to our mission of creating products that radically improve lives. Bulletproof helps people live better by providing information and products that help them use fat for fuel, say goodbye to sugar and supercharge mitochondria increasing their energy.
Bulletproof has a team of experienced entrepreneurs and biohackers working to make high performance a daily reality for everyone on the planet. While our culture is casual and our workplace flexible, the team is passionate, customer driven, meaningfully connected, smart, and results focused.
Our customers know that our coffee, beverages, food, and supplements are the purest you can get anywhere, and you can expect to feel a difference in how you perform the first time you experience them. Environmentally conscious and ethically sourced products build a sustainable foundation for future generations to thrive. Bulletproof coffee has developed a cult following across the nation as a drink that provides sustained energy, while also programming your body to burn fat for energy. In addition to providing convenient access to products through eCommerce, brick and mortar retail stores (e.g. Whole Foods Market) and Bulletproof Cafes, Bulletproof has developed a specialized diet, which is based on eating high amounts of healthy fats, moderate amounts of high-quality protein, and tons of organic vegetables eaten at the right time in order to create unbelievable levels of energy and weight loss.
Bulletproof is looking for a R&D Manager with a strong nutrition and science background to help us build a world-class company and grow our knowledge base. The R&D Manager will play a key role in the routine activities of the Research and Development department, with the primary focus on development of product concepts, profiles, formulas and, ultimately, finished goods. The successful candidate will identify, evaluate and select ingredients and other technologies to recommend product profiles and formulas. They will work cross-functionally to develop meaningfully differentiated, value-added products.
- Provide technical leadership and communication for the Bulletproof team.
- Lead, manage and develop a team of 1-3 individuals within R&D for delivery of assigned Projects and Programs.
- Lead food and dietary supplement product and technology development on individually assigned projects throughout Product Lifecycle, ensuring due diligence and best practice to deliver optimal sensory, nutritional, financial and operational attributes.
- Develop and evaluate Raw Material and Finished Product Specifications, Product Formulas, Prototypes and Finished Product that meet targeted product profile and project objectives.
- Perform laboratory bench work and/or work with co-manufacturers to develop prototypes for evaluation and testing.
- Coordinate bench-top and scale-up prototype production and evaluation.
- Plan and lead plant trials and production start-ups at co-manufacturers.
- Develop data and recommendations for supplement and nutritional facts panel content.
- Review, evaluate and interpret scientific literature for product health claims/benefits, for dosing specifications, and for best ingredient forms.
- Support product and ingredient testing - facilitate development, evaluation and analysis third party testing (chemistry, sensory, physical, microbiology, identity, etc.).
- Plan and execute Stability studies.
- Work with internal and external partners: Suppliers, Regulatory, Supply Chain, Quality, Product Managers and Bulletproof leadership to achieve targeted product launches on time, on budget and on quality.
- Support and develop the base business by troubleshooting and problem-solving on-going production by working with internal and external partners.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Food Science, Biochemistry, Nutrition, or related fields.
- 8+ years of ready-to-drink beverage, powdered beverage, nutrition bar, or relevant development experience.
- 2+ years of managing people or teams preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and/or mentoring others.
- Successful product development experience from concept to scale up, product launch and throughput Product Lifecycle.
- Effective team leadership, performance management and organizational skills
- Computer literacy and ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Attention to detail and ability to think critically
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment and understanding of cross functional teams
- Knowledge of GMP environments and Food Safety
- Scientific and Technical expertise
- Effective oral and written communications, project management, interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and data management and sharing skills
- Ability to mentor junior team members
- Problem-solving, troubleshooting skills and ability to find creative solutions
- Able to work on expedited timelines with a sense of urgency
- Knowledge in nutritional software that generates nutritional data such as nutritional and supplemental facts, such as ESHA Genesis
- Experience with regulatory affairs and with FDA requirements for food and dietary supplements
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience and ability to drive assignments to satisfactory completion
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Bulletproof leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Entrepreneurial problem solver with strong troubleshooting skills
- Vocally self-aware and curious
- Results oriented
- Hires great people. Develops great people
- Ability to effectively manage time, multi-task, and prioritize projects to meet established deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and written
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
- You love learning, and it’s one of the things you do to make yourself better every single day
This is a full-time position based in the Seattle, WA area. Maximum fun, maximum knowledge, and maximum performance are a part of the job description, and you’ll get to work with the team on a regular basis to upgrade your game, your mental performance, and your life. This is a great opportunity to grow with a company.
Think you’ve got what it takes?