Senior Manager of Quality
Bulletproof is an omni-channel content driven consumer products company. Our vision is to make high performance a daily reality for everyone by upgrading the earth’s coffee and food. Our mission is to help people perform better, think faster, and live better using a proven blend of ancient knowledge and new technologies, informed by science, and measured results from our customers. BP products help people live better by using fat for fuel, saying goodbye to sugar and supercharging mitochondria.
Bulletproof has a team of experienced entrepreneurs and biohackers working to make high performance a daily reality for everyone on the planet. While our culture is casual and our workplace flexible, everyone on the team is passionate, smart, focused and driven.
Our customers know that our coffee, beverages, food, and supplements are the purest you can get anywhere, and you can expect to feel a difference in how you perform the first time you experience them. Environmentally conscious and ethically sourced products build a sustainable foundation for future generations to thrive.
Bulletproof is seeking a Senior Manager of Quality to help ensure that we offer our customers world-class quality as we continue to broaden our product offerings and expand our distribution channels.
The Senior Manager of Quality will direct the activities of a highly-motivated Quality team engaged in oversight of contract analytical laboratories; managing the execution of all testing and evaluation of ingredients and products against prescribed standards; collaborate with and provides support for cross-functional teams to guarantee the delivery of superior internal customer service, and partnering with R&D and legal to ensure that our claims are substantiated.
- Demonstrate leadership as a key member of the Extended Leadership Team (XLT) for Bulletproof.
- Build a Quality team designed to meet the unique requirements of Bulletproof; provide team members the tools they need to optimize their contributions as well as to grow as individuals
- Manage/Develop the entire testing protocol for all raw materials, packaging components, intermediates and finished goods, from selection of methodologies during product development through sampling procedures and release of finished goods for sale
- Design, conduct or coordinate stability (shelf life) testing
- Partner with R&D and Legal to develop and implement a comprehensive claims substantiation process.
- Oversee implementation and operation of a Quality Management System (QMS); develop actionable metrics, perform trend analysis and design an appropriate reporting portfolio
- Oversee root cause analysis for OOS (out-of-specification) investigations
- Direct all contract laboratory management activities, ensuring alignment on performance requirements, continuous assessment and compliance with expectations, while building and maintaining effective and mutually rewarding partner relationships
- Develop/Implement a supplier quality management system
- Perform development, review and/or approval of technical documentation such as product specifications and master formulations
- Draft, implement and enforce departmental SOPs as needed
- Lead by example in providing superior internal customer service to such departments as Product Management, R&D, Finance/Accounting, Supply Chain, etc.
- 8+ years’ leadership experience in a multifaceted Quality operation
- Chemistry, Microbiology, or Food Science related college degree is highly preferred; the right candidate may substitute 15+ years of relevant experience with progressively responsible roles
- Experience working with/scaling a quality organization in a smaller/start-up environment
- Experience resolving challenges associated with the regulatory and quality requirements of the food, beverage and/or supplement manufacturing environments; experience with cGMP, HACCP, FDA, USDA Organic and similar standards required
- Experience driving quality systems/improvements through 3rd party manufacturing and distribution
- A working knowledge of the community of Contract Analytical Laboratories that provides services to the food, beverage and nutritional supplement industries
- Experience working with integrated QMS and Document Control systems
- Ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities
- Ability to rapidly learn new systems and procedures
- Willingness and ability to lead change through effective communication and persuasion skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent attention to detail
- An ability to effectively plan, organize and prioritize workload
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- A talent for building collaborative relationships, both internally and externally
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Bulletproof leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Entrepreneurial problem solver with strong troubleshooting skills
- Vocally self-aware and curious
- Hires great people. Develops great people
- Ability to effectively manage time, multi-task, and prioritize projects to meet established deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and written
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
- You love learning, and it’s one of the things you do to make yourself better every single day
- You understand our culture and are ready to live our mission to help people reach their ultimate state of performance
- Results oriented
This is a full-time position based in the Seattle area. Maximum fun, maximum knowledge, and maximum performance are a part of the job description. You will get to work with a team on a regular basis to upgrade your game, your mental performance, and your life.
Think you’ve got what it takes?