Lagos & Osun, Nigeria
Bridge Nigeria is a life-changing community school program. It is one of four community school programmes run as part of NewGlobe’s education portfolio.
Bridge Nigeria opened its doors in 2015, with affordable education targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas of Lagos State in parts of Ikorodu, Alimosho, Badagry, Ojo, Epe, and other local government areas.
The UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) initially contracted us as part of the Developing Effective Private Education Nigeria (DEEPEN) programme. Now, Bridge Nigeria partners with communities, parents, and teachers to deliver life-changing education and provide a gateway to success for underserved families. Since 2019, our national (CEE) exam results have continued to prove academic excellence. Our community school graduates have gone to top secondary schools.
Schools is the heart of our work. The team is mandated to inspire teachers to teach with passion, pupils to learn with purpose, parents to believe in a better future for their children, and communities to become the change they want to see in the world. To achieve this vision, the team ensures schools are smoothly run - the school team is motivated and inspired, delivering life changing lessons, creating an experience that makes parents stay with us, and also cultivating interest and excitement in our work in communities where we serve. Schools is responsible for ensuring all of the work created by our expert teams, including Instructional Design, Leadership & Development, Technology, Communications, Creative and Insight, are used in each school, and each school is managed to achieve its goal of ensuring every child enjoys a learning environment that develops her core skills, knowledge and confidence. The performance of the entire organization is led by the Schools Group, which is responsible for day-to-day management of each school. Schools work to strengthen school enrollment and student retention, ensuring every school is regarded as the strongest school in its neighborhood and delivers on improved learning outcomes for children and earns the trust of the parents. We engage with school leaders and teachers every day, ensuring ongoing professional development, performance management, and intensive coaching. We are always seeking effective ways of ensuring every school is supported with data-driven practices. We measure our success through both the financial sustainability of the school and the learning outcomes of the children in the classroom. We are performance driven.
About the Role
The Director, Schools is responsible for the performance management of every school, and thus the performance management of all staff on the Schools team that supervise schools. Consequently, focus on using data to drive performance, and constant coaching to change behavior, and rigorous implementation of core school programs is critical. The team you supervise is in schools each day, providing ongoing mentorship, specific performance feedback, and on-going group and personal training. You are responsible for the holistic performance of the school, including personnel management, instructional leadership, parent and community engagement, regulatory compliance, and commercial sustainability. In this role, you also engage with all stakeholders of the schools under your care, including government officials, parents, and community groups as may be required, just as your school supervisors do in the community of each school. Your role is the nexus of all that we do, ensuring the implementation and results of our overall programing, integrating instructional design and technology. Using big data that provides a visibility into everyday teaching practices and school management, you work with your direct supervisory staff to improve performance of each school – with the goal of student performance and character development in mind, as well as each school’s financial sustainability – and provide feedback on core programming to our design teams.
This team is laser focused on outcomes, inherently collaborative in nature, loves fostering leadership in others, is unwaveringly committed to ensuring a quality education for our pupils, and is excited about creating incredible learning interventions that drive positive behavior and mindset change in adults. You are committed to ensure the school is financially sustainable. You will flourish on this team if you are: a team player, hyper-focused on results, flexible in a dynamic environment, and have fun while working hard.
What You Will Do
● Use data from multiple sources, including your own classroom observations and school management observations, quality assurance audits, and big data on school staff behavior, to lead your team of school supervisors to ensure school staff to improve their practice, with an unwavering eye to student learning and holistic development.
● Use data from multiple sources to ensure effective school management, and a safe learning environment.
● Be in schools 20% time, observing teaching, observing management, and engaging with stakeholders, including government officials, parents, and community groups.
● When observing or holding meetings, using rubrics or other documents to support structured observation and reporting.
● Support specific school events, including collaborating on programming for such events as school opening celebrations and school closing celebrations, as well as community showcases.
● Ensure school staff and students are prepared to sit in government-proctored exams, as they may occur on a termly/semester basis, and with particular attention to national examinations.
● Encourage school strength and support enrollment efforts.
● Ensure local regulatory processes are followed, including environmental & social standards, as well as national regulations.
● Lead leadership & development sessions during the course of the school year, or during induction training for new staff, as may be needed.
● Supervise school budget and optimization.
● Ensure school strength and financial sustainability goals are met.
● Other duties as assigned
What You Should Have
● Proven leadership experience, leading teams of people to accomplish an objective
● Proven experience managing field-based teams
● Belief in data-driven decision making
● School management experience a plus
● Relentless focus on achievement for yourself and others
● Bias towards action
● Flexible and loves to work in a dynamic environment
● Collaborative leader with strong relationship building skills
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Strong communication skills
● B.Sc or M.A. in Education is preferred
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.