Manager, Talent Acquisition
Who We Are
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education.
Globally, there is an education crisis. Around 263 million children and young people are not in school and the number of primary school aged children not in school is increasing. Bridge is committed to helping tackle this through a data driven, evidence based approach that delivers strong schools and a great education for all.
Bridge has been named as “One of the top 10 Employers” in Africa according to an annual survey. For more information look at the blog on the Bridge website (click here).
The Bridge Approach
Education is in crisis in many countries around the world. It is estimated that 264 million children and young people are out of school, and 330 million children are in school but not learning. In addition, an extra 69 million teachers are needed to achieve the 2030 UN education goals.
Many education systems are plagued with inadequate materials and poor management systems, all leading to chronic teacher absenteeism and a lack of learning. Education reform is challenging but it is urgently required if we are to prevent another generation of children missing out. So, we work in partnership with governments, NGOs and non-state actors to address the huge education imbalance between what is available and what is needed right now — we work to bridge the gap.
We believe parents have the right to choose a school for their children and we enable families to enjoy seeing their children learn, improve and flourish at Bridge schools. We locate our schools in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the world. Families in our communities can be earning just $1.90 per person a day; a level the World Bank notes is at extreme poverty. By putting learning at the centre of all we do, Bridge has become an extremely popular choice for underserved families and low-income communities.
With plans to enrol ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
About the Role
As the Talent Acquisition Manager for Bridge International Academies, you will be focusing on the Operating Market region, you are a key member of the People Operations team as we try to attract the best talent on offer. You will carry out this role based from our Vijayawada office.
People Operations at Bridge
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our academies to software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. The People Operations team is the key in unlocking “people potential” towards achieving our company’s goals.
We believe in:
- The People function being, foremost, a service delivery function, with a positive bias towards analytically thinking through People problems and executing in an inclusive, fair, transparent & strategic manner
- Strongly aligning the People function with the company’s customer. We do what we do for making the Bridge Offer a reality for around 100,000 Bridge pupils and their parents. Cost consciousness is critical to spreading the reach of the Bridge Offer to more children across East Africa
- Striving for excellence in execution of all people operations processes – for ALL employees.
- Using analytics/data to drive key decisions and continuous improvement - across core People competencies like compensation, performance, talent, we believe that an analytical approach will enable us to attract, reward, and retain top performers, and ensure that we are true to ensuring a fair and transparent People function
- Empowering our managers to become leaders
- Driving People engagement in innovative, authentic ways to improve and enhance employee satisfaction and productivity
- Aligning with the company's strategic objectives across multiple functions, including finance, operations, and legal to ensure that our solutions bear the results that we are aiming for
What You Will Do
As the Talent Acquisition Manager for Bridge International based focusing on the Indian region, you are a key member of the People Operations team as we try to attract the best talent on offer. You will carry out this role based from our Vijayawada office.
You will have the opportunity to join a fast-scaling global start-up and shape the organisation by developing a highly effective talent pipeline for all positions in India. The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to multi-task and take ownership of the current talent acquisition process from the get-go. You’re an extremely effective communicator, both written and verbal, and are energised by interacting with people, building relationships, and networking. These things come naturally to you and are what you crave in your working life. A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and scrappiness is a must. The candidate is equally comfortable as an individual contributor as well as a leader who can drive the efforts of a team.
- Attract and recruit Talent for India from within and from other countries where Indian nationals have emigrated too
- Extensive talent mapping experience
- Work with hiring managers and their teams to assist with external recruitment efforts
- Partner with People Operations for internal hiring efforts (internal recruitment is the assessment of employees for different or more senior roles.)
- Use social media, job boards, internet sourcing, and other technical means to source candidates for open jobs for current open roles and identify future talent needs and proactively recruit and source candidates
- Manage the recruitment process and life-cycle, including initial assessments, interviews, and offers
- Guide hiring managers and decision makers by providing valuable insight and hiring and employment data. May develop specialised or competitive intelligence and research in regard to talent development
- Manage relationships with recruiters, academic and professional groups, and with a wider audience through use of social media and other targeted outreach to key audiences; including coordination of on-campus recruiting, job fairs, conferences, and other opportunities to connect with audiences interested in for-profit education space
- Candidate experience focused; coach and mentor a team on meticulous candidate management using an applicant tracking systems to track applicants from the selection phase through to on-boarding
What You Should Have
- Passion for Bridge’s vision of the right for all children to succeed
- Bachelor's degree with superior academic performance
- Extensive headhunting/recruitment experience, particularly with building diverse teams
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, metric driven Talent Acquisition organisation (agency or corporate)
- Experience in attracting the best global talent to India
- You will have a network of great candidates both in India and across the world
- Experience recruiting in the education/retail sector.
- We particularly value experience in extreme growth situations
- Self-starter; highly driven individual that will take ownership from the get-go and proactively look for improvement
- Strong leadership skills and has demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse workforce
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or social enterprise
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any enterprise from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often challenging, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today