Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Business Intelligence Department, Technology Group
The business intelligence department is responsible for aggregating data from all of Bridge’s various technology platforms (both custom and off the shelf) and ensuring those data are highly available, consistent, and ready for analysis. The department also partners with statisticians and analysts Bridge’s other departments to produce actionable and sustainable insights at scale.
About the role
Bridge has been data-driven from its inception, using a build-measure-learn approach to all aspects of service delivery. As a scale model business, we have an unprecedented opportunity to bring statistical power to all aspects of an educational operation, from the academics team using randomised controlled trials to validate the best teaching methods to the schools team understanding which factors contribute to teacher turnover to operational teams striving to improve our service delivery efficiency.
However, we have reached an inflection point where we need to take our data game to the next level. Instead of just providing data to our various departments, we need to start bringing to bear more sophisticated techniques to unlock the potential of our significant data sets. While we collect tens of thousands of data points every term from each of our academies – from the time spent on each page of a lesson to the billing and payment history of every pupil – we are yet to fully realise the potential energy of these data sets.
We’re looking to build our next generation business intelligence team in London, alongside our software and product teams. The Senior BI Developer forms the front end of that transformation, ensuring our data aggregation processes are robust, scalable, and ready for whatever we dream up next.
What you will do
- Build data processing pipelines as part of a co-located and cross-functional software development team
- Deploy these data pipelines in line with continuous delivery practices and principles
- Improve the scalability, stability, accuracy, and efficiency of our existing data systems
- Monitor operations on data warehouse servers in order to identify and resolve issues and ensure continuous integration of data into warehouses
- Design scalable implementations of models developed by Bridge data scientists and statisticians
- Contribute to the effective data governance of business data, including data quality, data management, data policies, business process management, and risk management surrounding the handling of business data
- Communicate with business and outside actors to develop requirements
- Passion for BI Development across a variety of tools and technologies
- Specific familiarity with Microsoft technologies, especially Microsoft SQL Server and SSIS (current systems); but also interested in Hadoop, Apache Spark, Kafka, etc., and to advocate for their appropriate adoption at Bridge
- Fluency with warehouse design and dimension modelling (star schemas, snowflakes, etc)
- Understanding of NoSQL databases and unstructured data
- Comfort with version control, continuous delivery, and test driven development
- Experience or interest in results-driven, lean/agile environments
- Basic DBA skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast paced environment
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.