Technical Project Manager
Technical Project Manager
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
The main purpose of the role is to take an approved project brief, which lays out a high-level business problem to be solved, and deliver the appropriate technical solution to the company. To do this, you will develop a product specification matching to the project brief, drive the evaluation of various off-the-shelf software solutions, and oversee the implementation and rollout phases, whether in-house or outsourced.
You will work with focus on one, sometimes two, projects at a time over the period of several months - perhaps half a year on some projects. Once a given project has successfully been delivered and transitioned to support, you will move on to the next identified project.
In the course of this work, you will be communicating with very senior members of the organisation (often c-suite, MDs, and VPs) across globally diverse locations. Your reporting lines will evolve as the department grows, but you will initially report to the global Director of IT Operations.
What You Will Do
- Collect requirements, understand the business needs, and document them in a functional specification for review and approval
- Articulate what is possible and what is not - and negotiate and influence the stakeholders on the associated features
- Present, discuss, and explain ideas coherently and logically both in writing and verbally. Your proposals will be reviewed with scrutiny by senior members of the organisation, who are time-poor and who will expect you to be able to be able to defend your ideas, but also be open to feedback - “strong opinions, weakly held” should be your mantra
- Interface with technical leadership team (director of software, enterprise apps lead, software architect, etc.) to ensure the solution being proposed/delivered is technically fit for purpose and in line with Bridge architectural and technical standards
- Document project requirements and define software requirement specifications
- Own and manage project end-to-end from Project Brief through successful Project Closure
- Coordinate and manage internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects, including task allocation, motivation, and productivity
- Perform periodic risk assessment and minimise risks through appropriate planning and escalation
- Oversee change management and rollout strategy, in coordination with business stakeholders
- Produce the appropriate documentation at various stages of the SDLC, including scoping, quality assurance/test cases, design specifications, and stakeholder engagement (milestones, status updates, risk assessments)
- Perform overall day-to-day management of the project
- 8-14 years of proven work experience as a Technical Project Manager
- Experience in evaluating software applications provided by the open source community and comparing against commercially available solutions
- Proficiency in the complete project life cycle: writing a charter, doing estimation, creating a plan, planning resources, managing risk, tracking and monitoring delivery, communicating project status, and closing the project
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking
- Technically strong professional preferred
- Certified in PMP or similar preferred
- Ability to cope in a complex and fast-changing business environment, and to respond calmly and rationally to changing aspirations in a deadline-driven situation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good influencing and persuasion skills, with the ability to inspire multidisciplinary teams and to build successful relationships at all levels - good team player and highly self-motivated
- Clear decision-making ability, with the facility to judge complex situations and assess when to escalate issues - the ability to balance conflicting and changing demands through prioritization and a pragmatic approach
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust