L2 Support Officer, IT Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
As an L2 Support Officer, IT Operations you will be a member of the IT Operations global services team and will report to the Global Services Lead Support, IT Operations. This position also includes working closely with the regional IT Operations teams to resolve all manner of technical issues, from support offices to schools. The role offers an interesting mix of technical and business challenges allowing the holder to develop an in-depth understanding of how Bridge International Academies works.
You will work with first level team, third level teams, and third party service providers, to ensure that every case is properly registered on the Helpdesk Tool and documented in the knowledge base. This role will be required to assist with managing escalated customer issues, mentoring junior team members, and delivery of technical ongoing and new starter training, as and when required.
What You Will Do
- Provide 2nd Level incident management for issues registered via help desk tool(s), acting as an escalation point for L1 service issues
- Manage 3rd-party service providers to ensure business needs are being met
- Identify cases where server and database backups are not occurring according to the defined policies and to resolve the gaps
- Monitor servers, network devices, applications, and databases using a variety of tools and reports to ensure the infrastructure is up and running within defined thresholds. When issues are detected, you will be responsible for analysing the nature of the issue and routing it to the appropriate L3 support for resolution. You will maintain responsibility for ensuring the issue is resolved within a timely fashion
- Troubleshoot smartphone and e-reader application issues, such as syncing, application crashes, payment problems, etc., using a combination of phone calls and remote support tools, such as TeamViewer. If the issue cannot be resolved directly by you, you will analyse the issue enough to ensure that it is routed to the appropriate L3 support for resolution and maintain ownership for ultimate resolution
- Owns problem management (ultimate root cause resolution of recurring or critical issues), not just incident management (immediate restoration of services)
- Document interactions, incidents, and problems, and ensure the knowledge base is updated
- Ensure all Bridge IT policies and standards, including Bridge application usage, information security, and compliance standards, are being followed. Where existing policies aren’t sufficient for Bridge’s current context or needs, work to update the policies
- Partner with and develop strong ties with regional teams within the Bridge organization to eliminate the silo approach and develop synergies to achieve the organization’s mission
- Work closely with the global and regional IT Operations teams to create process documents, help desk workflows, and service desk standards and monitoring dashboards
- Anticipate, identify, and resolve problems, applying knowledge in complex, difficult, or stressful situations
- Communicate technical information to audiences at all levels of the organization
- Be available during off hours to handle urgent issues that may arise
- Own the support experience of all the technologies that Bridge International uses on a daily basis
- Manage time and workload to meet predetermined service levels
- Provide technical guidance and supervision to less-experienced members of the team and assist with training junior staff
- Hands-on knowledge and troubleshooting skills for support office IT hardware, including laptops, desktops, printers, smartphones, and tablets. Should include good working knowledge of Windows 8 and 10 platforms
- Knowledge of Service Desk and Contact Centre environment
- Experience in handling user administration (G Suite, Azure Active Directory, NAV, Office 365, Dropbox, etc.)
- Working knowledge on Active Directory (Creation/Suspension of Users, Organisational unit, service accounts and password reset), domain servers/DNS, domain controllers, IP addressing/DHCP
- Working knowledge of VPN’s. Has exposure to any kind of VPN and understands the concepts
- Excellent remote troubleshooting skills (Laptop, Desktop, Printers, smartphones, Tablets)
- AWS Cloud, Azure, Windows Server-2008/2012/2016 in domain environment. VPCs, etc.
- Working knowledge on monitoring and troubleshooting issues pertaining to web servers, database servers windows domain servers. Ability to understand and analyse data provided by monitoring tool and do proactive and reactive troubleshooting
- Working knowledge on MDM (Mobile Device Management) will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge on Linux/Ubuntu (OS administration, Managing User / Group Administration skills, DNS, Name Server, email server)
- Experience in shell scripting (Perl, Powershell etc.) will be an added advantage
- Must have empathy with end users, should be a team player, maintain professional code of conduct, good understanding of the organization, able to deal with stress
- Ability to communicate at all levels, both technical and non-technical. Customer-focused
- Ability to perform well as part of a team under direct/indirect supervision
- Good communication skills (active listening skills), documentation skills, able to articulate and speak with clear voice
- MCSE, CCNA, ITIL or other industry identified certifications are preferred
- Relevant Bachelor's/Diploma holder or equivalent education and experience from reputed college / university
- Should be flexible to work in a 24X7 Environment
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust