Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department, Technology Group
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the role
We are looking for a full time Software Quality Engineer to join our new Hyderabad-based, cross-functional software development team, which will participate in building the software that powers and improves efficiency to enhance our competitive advantage.The Hyderabad team will have a special focus on the parts of the system that are more customer facing, experimental, or strategically important. This person should be familiar with design and implementation issues specific to a data driven, highly scalable environments and be able to handle such issues with flexibility and ingenuity. If you’re looking to be a gatekeeper, Bridge will not be right for you. On the other hand, if you’re all about being an enabler of teams, curiosity and innovation, and more than anything, about automation and repeatability, then Bridge might just be your next gig
The ideal candidate will have a strong customer focus, a proven track record of delivering high-quality products in a continuous delivery environment, and an appreciation for clean and simple code. Bridge especially values “T-shaped” team members – individuals with deep expertise in particular areas, but comfortable working across all parts of the technology stack.
What You Will Do
- More than anything, evangelise a culture of automation and repeatability across all our tech teams and departments - and then get your hands dirty working directly with our teams to make it a reality
- Establishing testing practices to ensure the functional correctness, usability, scalability, and security of Bridge software
- Help resolve “works on my machine” automated testing issues by pairing with our software developers to run down environmental, network, or other complicating factors
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to define acceptance criteria for new software projects
- Participate in the design and estimation of new software, ensuring testing is not an afterthought
- Deliver and manage automated testing tools for the constantly evolving needs of our various software platforms, including including a range of web and mobile applications running across a variety of devices
- Integrate automated testing tools into build pipelines to promote a culture of continuous delivery
- Devise approaches for validating and monitoring off-the-shelf and third-party software
- Participate in the design and use of application monitoring tools to reduce mean time to response and to maximise uptime
- Advocate strongly for building quality into our software and partner with the development team to establish and implement overall best practices
- Provide third-line technical support to in-house users
- Collaborate with software and IT Operations teams to design and implement our next generation deployment architecture with scalability in mind - clustering, autoscaling, blue-green deployments
- Work with the product and development teams to establish the Bridge International Academies technology direction, including questions of “build vs. buy”
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree, with excellent academic performance
- 3+ years commercial DevOps experience at the enterprise level. 5+ years overall commercial software experience at the enterprise level.Hands-on experience across at least a couple continuous delivery platforms (e.g. Jenkins, Go.CD, CircleCI, TFS)
- Hands-on experience across at least a couple continuous delivery platforms (e.g. Jenkins, Go.CD, CircleCI, TFS)
- Hands-on experience in a couple Code as Infrastructure tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Expertise in virtualisation (VMWare, Vagrant, etc.)
- Experience in cloud platforms (AWS, Azure), ideally both as IaaS and PaaS
- Experience in containerisation (Docker) and containerisation infrastructure (Kubernetes, DockerSwarm, etc.)
- Expertise in both Windows and Linux/Ubuntu
- A love of command lines. And an appreciation that other people like GUIs and that’s okay, too
- Fluency with Bash and PowerShell
- A desire to learn new tech stacks and frameworks - if you’ve only got experience in a particular platform and you think that makes it the right answer, Bridge is not right for you
- A proactive mindset and comfort working without constant supervision
- Flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business
- Ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
- Fast learner, energetic, and enthusiastic
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.