Officer, Talent Acquisition
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
[Insert The education crisis is one that requires urgent, collective, and concrete action to surmount. While Nigeria is said to have the largest number of out of school children in the world, the education crisis is not just about out of school children, but also about children who are in school and not learning. In Sub Saharan Africa, statistics say that 88% or almost 9 out of 10 children and adolescents will not be able to read proficiently by the time they are of age to complete primary and lower secondary Education. With Nigeria being the most populous country in Sub Saharan Africa, this crisis impacts us most.
Bridge started operations in Nigeria in 2015, opening its first low fee private nursery and primary schools targeted at providing life changing education for families living in low-income areas of Lagos State in parts of Ikorodu, Alimosho, Badagry, Ojo, Epe, and other local government areas. In 2017, Bridge NG further expanded its reach to the most marginalized and vulnerable communities by partnering with the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) and the State of Borno to set up a public school serving out-of-school children and children from internally displaced communities. In 2018, Bridge NG became technical partners to the Edo State government in its implementation of the Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation program to reform its public primary and nursery school system.
Today, Bridge NG works with both communities and governments to ensure hundreds of thousands of children have access to either a well-run, high achieving affordable private or free public school so that the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 4 of Quality Education becomes a reality for the millions of children in Nigeria quickly. You will join a group of young and passionate Nigerians taking concrete action to help address the education crisis in Nigeria and ensure a better future for the children of Nigeria.]
Our people are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of Bridge culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration. We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
The Talent Acquisition team is our agency for bringing together purpose-driven, inspirational talent from diverse backgrounds to lead the Bridge movement in our support offices and schools. We believe in attracting such talent before they find out about us! Our process encourages candidates to experience a slice of Bridge life. They get to meet Bridge leaders, visit our schools and engage with our pupils, parents and teachers. We own their welcome to Bridge when they join us and work towards ensuring a great onboarding. We also work closely with the People Operations team to help them grow by encouraging internal talent to apply for open roles. Our north star is to find the best possible talent for every open role as quickly as we can, ensuring excellence in candidate experience and in employee onboarding and induction.
About the Role
As the Nigeria Talent Acquisition Officer for Bridge International, you are a key member of the People team. You will have the opportunity to join a fast-scaling global start-up and shape the organisation by developing a highly effective talent pipeline for all positions in Nigeria. The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to multi-task and take ownership of the current talent acquisition process from the get-go. You’re an extremely effective communicator, both written and verbal, and are energized by interacting with people, building relationships, and networking. These things come naturally to you and are what you crave in your working life. A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and scrappiness is a must. The candidate is equally comfortable as an individual contributor as well as a leader who can drive the efforts of a team.
What You Will Do
• Work with hiring managers and their teams to assist with external recruitment efforts.
• Partner with People Operations for internal hiring efforts (internal recruitment is the assessment of employees for different or more senior roles.)
• Use social media, job boards, internet sourcing, and other technical means to source candidates for open jobs for current open roles and identify future talent needs and proactively recruit and source candidates.
• Manage the recruitment process and life-cycle, including initial assessments, interviews, and offers.
• Guide hiring managers and decision makers by providing valuable insight and hiring and employment data. May develop specialized or competitive intelligence and research in regards to talent development.
• Manage relationships with recruiters, academic and professional groups, and with a wider audience through use of social media and other targeted outreach to key audiences; including coordination of on-campus recruiting, job fairs, conferences, and other opportunities to connect with audiences interested in for-profit education space.
• Candidate experience focused; coach and mentor a team on meticulous candidate management using an applicant tracking systems to track applicants from the selection phase through to on-boarding.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's degree with superior academic performance
- Extensive headhunting/recruitment experience, particularly with building diverse teams
- Prior experience within a fast-paced, metric driven Talent Acquisition organization (agency or corporate)
- We particularly value experience in extreme growth situations.
● A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
● A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
● A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
● A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
● A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
● A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.