Who We Are
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education.
Globally, there is an education crisis. Around 263 million children and young people are not in school and the number of primary school aged children not in school is increasing. Bridge is committed to helping tackle this through a data driven, evidence based approach that delivers strong schools and a great education for all.
The Bridge Approach
Education is in crisis in many countries around the world. It is estimated that 264 million children and young people are out of school, and 330 million children are in school but not learning. In addition, an extra 69 million teachers are needed to achieve the 2030 UN education goals.
Many education systems are plagued with inadequate materials and poor management systems, all leading to chronic teacher absenteeism and a lack of learning. Education reform is challenging but it is urgently required if we are to prevent another generation of children missing out. So, we work in partnership with governments, NGOs and non-state actors to address the huge education imbalance between what is available and what is needed right now - we work to bridge the gap.
We believe parents have the right to choose a school for their children and we enable families to enjoy seeing their children learn, improve and flourish at Bridge schools. We locate our schools in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the world. Families in our communities can be earning just $1.90 per person a day; a level the World Bank notes is at extreme poverty. By putting learning at the centre of all we do, Bridge has become an extremely popular choice for underserved families and low-income communities.
With plans to enroll ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
The Finance Officer Role
We are seeking a Finance Officer who will work closely with the Financial Director to refine how Bridge International Academies approaches financial budgeting, projections, and forecasting. The Finance Officer will also help senior executives identify key performance indicators in the business, highlight how the Company can improve operational execution across all divisions, and prepare materials for the Board of Directors highlighting the Company’s strategic and financial direction.
What You Will Do:
- Prepare and maintain financial analyses that forecast/project Bridge International Academies’ operational and financial performance
- Work with department heads and senior executives to refine budgeting across the Company
- Continuously work with department heads to identify and evaluate key performance indicators
- Work with the Finance Department to ensure that historical/actual performance is correctly captured and in-sync with the Finance Associate’s work
- Assist senior executives with preparing materials for the Board of Directors and investors
- Think strategically and proactively about Bridge International Academies’ financial direction
What You Should Have:
- At least two years of post-undergraduate, full time work experience in investment banking or corporate finance; should be used to highly rigorous, complex financial analysis
- Undergraduate degree from a top university with exemplary academic achievements; ideally in economics, business, accounting, and/or finance
- Very experienced working with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working closely with a company to build financial and operating models at a deep level, particularly on a multi-country level
- Extraordinary attention to detail and highly driven, ambitious attitude towards work
- Strategic financial thinker with an eye for identifying metrics that matter for a business
- A detailed doer- You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or social enterprise.
- A creative problem-solver- Growing any enterprise from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often challenging, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate- Our customers - these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner- You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.