Systems Administrator, IT Operations
Systems Administrator, IT Operations
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world. Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning. Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children. Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Technology plays a critical role at Bridge in enabling us to provide education at massive scale and low cost – it's one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver what no one else can. Tech spans several key functions, from the hardware and software that our academies use to run all aspects of teaching and management, including mobile payments, to the systems that enable our country headquarters to manage massive local operations, to the data backbone that informs all of our strategic and tactical decision making. It’s a lot of custom software development and a lot of back office systems.
We've got a ridiculously ambitious mission at Bridge, and it's a place where passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations Department, Technology Group
IT Operations at Bridge is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone at Bridge, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. It also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of Bridge's global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology at Bridge, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
Within the broad Bridge technology portfolio, we have both numerous custom software applications and also off-the-shelf solutions (“enterprise apps”). The main purpose of this role is to provide systems and infrastructure support for our off-the-shelf offerings, including web, cloud, and back office applications, systems integrations, and associated monitoring tasks.
The role is fundamentally a “jack of all trades” type role - you will cross a range of technologies and applications, and will need to bring a combination of existing skills and an eagerness to work on and learn those that you haven’t previously touched. We need someone who can hit the ground running with the portfolio that we already have - and the capability and passion to take on those that we haven’t yet dreamt up. You’re a configuration ninja - or at least a ninja in training.
We run lean and mean at Bridge and we’ve got a big portfolio to manage - we care about quality, scalability, and automation. This role is about bringing those same principles to the way we deliver our off-the-shelf offerings. If you get excited about continuous delivery, infrastructure automation, proactive monitoring, and complex multi-geography deployments, you’ve come to the right place.
You will report to the Enterprise Applications Lead.
What You Will Do
- Perform application installations, maintenance, upgrades, training, and user support within a defined application environment.
- Configure and administer enterprise applications used by teams across the globe, ensuring that we operate within well-defined standards.
- Provide operational support for enterprise applications, associated servers, directory services, email and DNS.
- Contribute to a culture of automated systems monitoring and reduction of mean time to response.
- Monitor and maintain performance and capacity at our local office installations in Africa and other countries to ensure maximum efficiency and operational uptime. Analyse system capacity and ensure performance of operating environments.
- Enforce the standards, security procedures, and controls for access to ensure integrity of the Windows Systems, Active Directory, and related systems
- Administer and manage Server System(s) and the various interactions between system applications and business processes
- Collaborate with data centre staff to configure, install, maintain and upgrade servers (Linux and Windows) and relevant software
- Manage effective use of corporate tools, such as email and active directory
- Participate in system maintenance/optimization/performance activities of the enterprise infrastructure
- Integrate enterprise applications and systems with each other, including applications with AD (LDAP) and applications with each other.
- Conduct disaster recovery tests and business continuity planning to assure systems availability and high uptime
- Liaise with 3rd party vendors and support teams in addressing system challenges including planning for changes and upgrades
What You Should Have
- Experience working with Microsoft Identity technologies including Active Directory/LDAP and related Administrative tools - both GUIs and programmatically.
- Experience with Azure Active Directory a BIG plus.
- Knowledge of how to manage identity management systems across both Windows (Group Policies and Security Groups) and Linux (Samba)
- Hands on experience managing LAMP stack applications. You should definitely know your way around Apache, you should be able to at least read PHP, and running basic SQL commands shouldn’t be scary.
- Experience with MEAN stack applications a plus.
- Familiarity with multiple email platforms, such as Outlook, G Suite, and SES.
- Working knowledge of scripting languages, like Bash and PowerShell.
- Working knowledge of networking protocols (TCP/IP) and related technologies (esp. DNS).
- A good understanding of cloud computing concepts a plus.
- Experience with backup and business continuity practices.
- Ability to assess application security, internal audit, and business line requirements to ensure all projects meet corporate IT security guidelines.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a global technical support organization.
- Good understanding of disaster recovery and business continuity, including business continuity planning strategies
- A good understanding of change management processes in a collaborative environment.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust