Data Infrastructure Engineer - Brighton
We are looking for a bright and forward-looking Senior Infrastructure Engineer to join our Brighton-based Data Infrastructure team.
At Brandwatch we deal with large amounts of data (>600TB in Solr alone), and as a team we make sure that all of our core data platforms (Postgres, Solr, HBase, Kafka) are performant, reliable and available 24x7.
This role would be ideal for an Infrastructure Engineer with large scale systems administration experience who is keen to move towards management of Big Data systems. As a senior member of the team you will be pivotal in identifying and delivering improvements to our infrastructure, for the benefit of the team and the wider company.
You’ll be helping us build the best social data analytics platform on the planet, so someone who relishes a challenge is a must.
Your role will include:
- Actively identifying and predicting scalability and performance issues, and suggesting plans to addressing them
- Proactively monitoring all aspects of the infrastructure and datastore health to maintain uptime and performance, including, where necessary, the development of new tooling
- Maintaining a constant capability for disaster recovery and data restore with regular testing
- Packaging, deploying, investigating and patching issues in our open-source storage systems
- Automation of standard tasks, including migration from our existing puppet-based provisioning to Kubernetes
- Working with the development teams to identify their needs and allow them to deliver excellent services
- Participating in the cross-functional support rota for our data stores, including Solr, HBase, Postgres and Kafka
- Tracking new developments in the ecosystem and driving advances in our infrastructure
It would be great if you had experience in:
- Using and administering database, big-data or HPC systems
- Linux systems administration and ideally some experience with containerisation
- Python programming, or experience building projects with other languages (preferably Java or C)
- Configuration management, ideally using Puppet or Ansible
- Structured approaches to problem solving (so a CS, Science, Maths or Engineering degree would be a plus)
The role will provide experience with the following:
- Managing PostgreSQL, Hadoop, Solr, Zookeeper and Kafka at scale
- Puppet and Ansible based configuration management of bare-metal deployments, Kubernetes and Docker for containerised deployments
- Python based infrastructure tooling (plus occasional items in Ruby and Golang)
- Building, packaging and patching of our storage systems (mainly the Java based Hadoop and Solr codebases)
- Maintaining a business critical large scale service, including an on-call rota and continual refinement of our alerting and telemetry data
- Working closely, openly and collaboratively with some very smart developers
What we offer;
Benefits: We offer a range of benefits including; bike to work scheme, pension contribution, childcare vouchers and discounted gym memberships.
Culture: Brandwatch is a place where the lines between work and fun are blurred. As a growing international company, with 7 offices across the globe, communication is key to ensure everyone’s voices are heard, and helps us maintain our flat structure. We listen and learn. We develop our staff. We care about everything, and above all we support each other.
Working for Brandwatch: Brandwatch Brighton is where it all began. We can be found in the vibrant North Laine in our brand new refurbished offices. Whilst we don’t believe in stereotypes, we do host yoga classes and Juice Mondays. We have cupboards bursting with snacks, a well stocked drinks fridge, sushi lunches, flexible working spaces and if you’re lucky we’ll even treat you to an ice-cream on the beach and you can enjoy one of our weekly massages right from the office.
To all recruitment agencies: Brandwatch does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Brandwatch employees. Brandwatch is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.