Data Centre Engineer - Brighton
Brandwatch is an enterprise social intelligence platform that helps the world’s most admired brands and agencies discover business-changing insights from social conversations.
Brandwatch is big data. We’ve seen our data footprint increase from big to massive in the past year. This expansion is reflected at our data centres and we need more people in our Core Systems team to help us manage and grow into more locations, racks and machines.
Naturally we expect that you’ll have previous hands-on experience working in a data centre on enterprise level, rack-mounted server and network appliances.
Your role will include:
- Travelling between Sussex, Surrey and Kent (full EU driving licence required)
- Full lifecycle management of all hardware in all data centres
- Arranging, notifying and participating in hardware and cabling installations, relocations, maintenance and replacement
- Responding to monitoring alarms and tracking performance metrics
- Using the Linux command line to troubleshoot and diagnose hardware issues
- Actioning and resolving tickets from office based Brandwatch engineers
- Dealing with suppliers, checking in deliveries, processing RMAs and managing stock
- Working with on site data centre staff to resolve environment and power issues
- Compliance with ISO27001 policy
- Proposing ideas that will improve operational and financial efficiency
What you’ll learn in this role:
- All about Linux and networking in a data centre
- Bash, Python and Ruby
- Puppet, Ansible and Foreman
You will have:
- Enthusiasm and demonstrable experience of getting hands-on with anything in data centres
- High standards and a keen eye for opportunities to improve, simplify, organise and consolidate
- Good knowledge of data centre best practices
- Obsession to write documentation and update tickets
- Ability to multitask and tolerate interruption
- Confidence to work efficiently in a five nines environment while always being mindful of the risk to live services
- A concise, clear and polite style of written and verbal communication
- Happy to work alone or ask for assistance when required
- An interest in all things facility, bare metal and cloud
- A desire to learn more about automation
- Small teams of skilled people, in a friendly and relaxed environment. Be yourself.
- Work with people all over the world
- 10% of your time to work on something new, reading groups, tech talks, generous training and conference budgets, and any technical books you need
What we offer:
Benefits: We offer a range of benefits including; bike to work scheme, pension contribution, childcare vouchers and discounted gym memberships.
Culture: Brandwatch is a place where the lines between work and fun are blurred. As a growing international company, with 6 offices across the globe, communication is key to ensure everyone’s voices are heard, and helps us maintain our flat structure. We listen and learn. We develop our staff. We care about everything, and above all we support each other.
Working for Brandwatch: Brandwatch Brighton is where it all began. We can be found in the vibrant North Laine in our brand new refurbished offices. Whilst we don’t believe in stereotypes, we do host yoga classes and Juice Mondays. We have cupboards bursting with snacks, a well stocked drinks fridge, sushi lunches, flexible working spaces and if you’re lucky we’ll even treat you to an ice-cream on the beach and you can enjoy one of our regular massages right from the office.
To all recruitment agencies: Brandwatch does NOT accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Brandwatch employees. Brandwatch is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.