Monitoring and Infrastructure Systems Administrator
Brandwatch is a Digital Consumer Intelligence suite that combines digital, survey, social and first-party data sources with data science and AI. This enables organizations like Unilever, Walmart, and Dell to find the signal in the noise, bring market research into the digital era, and understand consumer and market trends in real time.
We are currently looking for a Linux Systems Administrator to join the Monitoring & Infrastructure team based in Berlin, as part of the Systems division, and the Brandwatch Engineering department.
Our Monitoring & Infrastructure team is responsible for Brandwatch's central monitoring, logging, metrics, and DNS platforms, some critical systems components for our customer-facing "Analytics" platform running smoothly. Sometimes this requires handling of unexpected outages, and helping identify which component of Brandwatch's platform is not performing correctly.
The Monitoring & Infrastructure team's responsibilities include:
- Design, implementation, and maintenance of systems and software that provide Brandwatch's centralized internal monitoring, metrics, and logging services
- Capacity planning, software performance analysis and system tuning
- Staffing the out-of-hours on-call Rota for critical services
(Typically one week on, five weeks off.)
- Infrequent (usually about twice per year) travel to the Brandwatch HQ in Brighton, UK, to meet and collaborate with other Engineering staff.
- Problem-solving in mission-critical systems, and reducing or preventing recurrence through automation or design improvements
- Helping developers configure monitoring and metrics collection for their services
- Writing or improving service checks, if they aren't already provided by other Engineering teams
- Monitoring systems-related security and mitigating security problems
You will have:
- Proven commercial experience working as a sysadmin or developer in a Unix or Linux environment
- A functional understanding of TCP/IP and common Internet protocols (HTTP, SMTP, DNS, etc.)
- Experience with a configuration-management tool like Puppet, and using it to automate the management of large numbers of services and hosts
- Experience with service and server monitoring using tools like Sensu, Nagios, etc.
- Experience using a version control system (git, SVN, etc.)
- The ability to diagnose and fix time-sensitive problems
- A strong sense of ownership and enthusiasm
- Experience scripting in the Bourne or bash shells
- Good English-language communication skills
It would be great if you have experience with any of the following:
- Git, Puppet, Redis, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Nginx, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, Telegraf, Sensu, Debian, PowerDNS, BIND, InfluxDB, SSL (OpenSSL), Grafana, haproxy, keepalived, Kubernetes, Solr, Kafka,
- Designing, analysing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Security monitoring and vulnerability mitigation for services running on Linux servers
- 30 days of paid holiday per year
- health/benefits packages
- Small teams of skilled people, in a friendly and relaxed environment
- A diverse and multicultural group of people from many different countries and backgrounds
- 10% Time: One day every other week to work on something beneficial to Brandwatch, but not (necessarily) part of your assigned projects or work, such as learning about or evaluating new tools or languages
- Training and conference budgets
- Any technical books you need
- The usual selection of office snacks, fresh fruit, drinks fridges… and of course, as we're in Berlin, there's coffee and Club Mate.
- Macbook Pro or Dell XPS with Linux
What we offer:
Benefits: Offering a range of benefits including: 30 days paid holiday, bike to work scheme, tech scheme.
Culture: Brandwatch is a place where the lines between work and fun are blurred. As a growing international company, with 10 offices across the globe, communication is key to ensure everyone’s voices are heard, and helps us maintain our flat structure. We listen and learn. We develop our staff. We care about everything, and above all we support each other.
Working for Brandwatch: Brandwatch Berlin is a dynamic and buzzy office located in a WeWork-managed space overlooking the Spree in Friedrichshain. We have a flexible working environment, massages twice a month, health & wellbeing classes, cupboards bursting with snacks, a well stocked drinks fridge, company lunches, and weekly breakfast.