Lead, Live Operations
The World of Warcraft Development Team is seeking a Lead of Live Operations. In this role, you will manage a group of producers, reliability engineers and database engineers to troubleshoot, resolve, and prevent service issues from happening again. You will also be planning and coordinating scheduled content updates to ensure high confidence in every launch we execute.
This role is responsible for the World of Warcraft service, and we are looking for someone that has good instincts, is passionate about the best player experience, and maintains calm under pressure.
Every voice matters with the World of Warcraft team and we are eager for yours to join us in discussing and solving the exciting challenges that come with releasing patches and keeping service stable for the most critically acclaimed MMO franchise in the world.
This is a full-time position at our office in Irvine, California.
- Own the tactical execution and strategic vision of the World of Warcraft Live Operations team.
- Manage the workload and tasks of the live operations team
- Triage and assign issues to engineers with appropriate expectations on when they will be complete
- Act as a live service owner, proactively drive issue prevention, diagnosis, mitigation, and root cause analysis.
- Plan and task infrastructure and feature improvements for a team of cross-discipline engineers and technical experts.
- Coordinate operation of Public Test Realm, Release Candidate build generation, and final patch deployment
- Support operations whenever issues occur – 24 / 7
- Strong sense of leadership, ownership, and accountability in tackling new challenges, even when outside your immediate area of responsibility
- Able to develop long-term relationships across partner teams within the organization
- Knowledge of software development processes and solid project management
- Familiarity with all disciplines of game development
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize effectively under important deadlines
- Calm and deliberate within a highly dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Clear and concise communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- You should have a background in production, engineering, or both
- At least 5 years of experience in live service operations
- Proficient with Jira and Confluence
- Prior management or leadership experience
- Passion for game development and MMO games
- Knowledge of World of Warcraft gameplay and systems