Linux Systems Administrator
Blizzard Entertainment's operations center is looking for a skilled senior systems administrator to help maintain Blizzard’s worldwide IT services. The operations center serves as the first response unit for all Blizzard IT incidents with its administrators functioning as incident managers, technical administrators, and communications specialists. The core skill sets for a systems administrator are either Linux, networking, or database. The systems administrator position also relies on knowledge management skill sets as well as leadership skills such as training and mentoring. The operations center is a dynamic, fast-paced, high-reliability, 24 / 7 facility supporting one of the most complex and prolific gaming infrastructures on the planet. If you are an administrator with the skills and experience to thrive in this environment, read on.
The operations center is responsible for management of all customer impacting incidents within Blizzard’s global IT services. The primary focus of incident management is the full restoration of systems in the least amount of time possible. In other words, our primary job is to maximize system uptime.
Maintain and improve
Systems administrators function as maintainers of Blizzard’s global IT services and infrastructure. Systems Administrator III’s perform preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and system restoration within their specialization. Be part of the team that actively works on developing new tools and automations but also improves existing processes.
Systems administrators function as communication conduits between disparate stakeholders during incidents ensuring each stakeholder is informed of the state of the issue and that each stakeholder has the information needed to make the best contribution to resolving the incident. In addition to active communication, the systems administrator ensures documentation of all facets of the troubleshooting processes to include the notification methods, steps taken to isolate the issue, and the actions taken to remedy the incident. System administrators also refine the details of major incidents into easily digestible, yet thorough, correspondence that is sent to the executive team for review.
Viable candidates will possess a strong background in at least one of the following:
- 5+ years as System Administration Unix/Linux
- Knowledge of automation / orchestration systems
- Advanced Linux (RHCE Certification or equivalent experience is desirable)
- General understanding of networking principles and architecture (CCNA Certification or equivalent experience is desirable)
- Incident Management (ITIL Foundations or equivalent experience is desirable)
Strong Candidates will possess expert competency with most, if not all, of the following
- LDAP, NFS, RHCS, RabbitMQ / AMQP, Splunk, Puppet and Nagios
- Hadoop, Memcached, Redis, CouchBase, Ceph, MySQL, and Oracle
- Package Management systems such as GIT, RPM, and YUM
- DNS, DHCP, Routing and Routed Protocols, and PXE Boot
- Cloud and CDN Services, including OpenStack, AWS, and Akamai
- Systems-level troubleshooting for global networks
- Write scripts in some administrative language (Python)
Thrive in our environment
The global network operations center exists to support Blizzard’s production infrastructure in the pursuit of providing our customers with a reliable, quality, entertainment experience. We accomplish this by ensuring high reliability and quality of service through prevention of, and mitigation of, system impairments and downtime.
A strong candidate will also bring to the table all of the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Exceptional time management skills
- Intrinsic curiosity
- Attention to detail
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter – nice to have
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!