Tracer, Winston, Pharah, Hanzo… these are just a few of the memorable heroes that inhabit our world. Our talented artists put their heart and soul into bringing these rare and visually beautiful characters to life, and their ranks are growing. We want the Character Concept Artist ready to step up and break new ground in the Overwatch universe and join our award-winning team of game developers. Join us, and use your fearless imagination and bold talent to expand the world of Overwatch and bring new compelling characters into our story.
Using the skills of both artist and designer to their fullest potential, you live on the front line of development. You’ll work closely with designers and 3D artists to bring new heroes to our world, and visualize new takes on existing icons in the game. Your knowledge of anatomy and expression will reach new heights designing the heroes, villains, and the creatures between to inhabit the world.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose goal isn’t just painting a pretty picture but rather to make a truly immersive game experience.
Nobody values the contributions of concept artists like we do. If you’re ready to embrace the challenge, we want to hear from you!
- Develop character concepts and skins including character sheets, movement studies and detailed breakouts for equipment and weapons
- Iterate on game assets with internal and external production artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in animation, film or game development focusing on conceptual artwork
- Experienced with digital content creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter, etc
- A deep understanding of human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to illustration and design
- Excellent eye for light, value, composition, and color
- Able to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game environments
- Understanding of the distinctive Overwatch visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
- A real passion for games
- Experience in crafting visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Working knowledge 3D art techniques & software packages such as Maya, 3Ds Max, Zbrush, or Mudbox
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a concept artist
Submission / Portfolio Instructions
- Cover Letter is optional
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- All artwork submissions should be online (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- An art test may be required based on portfolio evaluation
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!