Machine Learning Engineer, R&D Cinematics
Making Blizzard cinematics requires teamwork between technology and artistry. Join the R&D team, who work closely with artists to assess needs and solutions and help build the best tools for cg/vfx production.
We are building a new pipeline, offering a lot of opportunities to participate in a new effort across the Blizzard Animation organization. For this position, we are seeking a talented software engineer to join our R&D team in developing tools for modeling, look, rigging, simulation, animation, rendering, and FX. Bring your passion and experience with AI and machine learning to help us develop new, innovative workflows.
Blizzard cinematics have a variety of ranges in styles and complexity, so we are seeking team members who are passionate about crafting flexible tools and technology for producing these movies. You would help augment commercial packages such as Maya, Houdini, Nuke, and Katana to offer a flexible workflow for artists in building phenomenal animated cinematics, as well building new stand-alone workflows.
Projects will involve coordinating with large groups, with members representing many different departments. Python and C++ are the main languages supported on cross platforms of Linux and Windows. The team will help with training on Maya, Katana, and Houdini APIs; plus pipeline and workflows.
- Experience in applying deep learning to problem domains such as 3d geometry, rendering, image/media, with experience of techniques such as supervised and unsupervised learning, clustering, etc
- Experience in proficiently using one commonly used deep learning library (TensorFlow, Theano, Torch, MXNet, OpenNN, Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit, etc)
- Knowledge of Least Squares Regression, Principle Component Analysis, CNN, RNN and common architectures (ResNet, DenseNet, Inceptionetc)
- Strongly aware of current research in the area of machine learning/deep learning as it is applied towards problems in computer graphics
- Proven software design skills and ability to write organized, efficient, readable and reusable research code
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- MS/PhD in a related field with an emphasis on graphics and machine learning, or BS with equivalent industry experience
- Experience deploying machine learning models in production environments
- Proficient in distributed training of deep learning models or distributed computing frameworks
- Familiarity of vfx/animation production pipelines and use of commercial software setups and API - Autodesk Maya, Nuke, Renderman, Katana etc.
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new technologies quickly
Required Application Materials:
- Resume [PDF Preferred]
- Job Status: Full-time/Staff
- Primary Location: United States-CA-Irvine
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work/life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Accommodation Request: We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to email@example.com. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.