BSG is a growing Work-For-Hire studio developing games for current generation video game consoles. As part of that growth, we need a VFX artist to join our Technical Art team to produce outstanding effects to please our clients, and to wow the game player. Learn what visual effects are needed on current productions, and use your talent to create textures, setup materials, manipulate particles, deform geometry, and program shaders to ultimately produce visual effects for video games.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Render both realistic and stylized looking VFX using game engine technology.
- Maintain expert knowledge of production software, and the workflows needed to create real-time, in-game VFX.
- Simulate dynamics to animate game assets.
- Develop tools and processes to support the VFX pipeline.
- Resolve VFX development issues with engineers and technical artists.
- Report progress to production, and ensure production VFX assets are in source control.
- When necessary, adapt to create VFX for proprietary game pipelines.
- Learn new industry techniques, technology, and traditional art methods.
- Other duties may be assigned to accomplish company or department objectives.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2+ years of experience in VFX entertainment production.
- Experience with at least 1 shipped AAA title as an FX Artist.
Bachelor’s Degree in Art or equivalent work experience
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Production level knowledge on one 3D package (Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini)
- Comprehensive knowledge of VFX production pipelines
- Familiar with video game production and the limitations it places on in-game VFX
- Used VFX software tools such as Maya nCloth, FumeFX, or Houdini Pyro
- Game Engine experience with any of the following: Unreal, Unity, Lumberyard, or CryEngine
- Generate textures using Photoshop or Substance Designer
- Author VFX elements and sprite flipbooks using compositing programs like After Effects or Nuke.
- Understand shaders as applied to game engine VFX
- Comfortable working with node-based systems, scripts, proprietary tools
- Passion for Video Games
- Profile game performance using in-game tools
- Develop tools using script languages; Python, MAXScript, etc.
- Source control experience using Perforce
- PS4 or XB1 Development experience