Lead UI/UX Artist
At BSG we have multiple business focuses and projects running concurrently, and we are actively looking for a seasoned developer to lead our UI/UX team. The Lead UI/UX artist will work closely with the Art Director and design team to conceptualize the visual style of the user interface and interactive user experience for various projects.
This role requires you to be an artist, a mentor and a manager. You must be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of a team and draw out the hidden potential in an artist. You must be able to provide guidance and critical feedback with the knowledge and limitations of gameplay requirements in mind. This role requires you to review art for quality and continuity according to project needs. The ability to communicate and plan across all disciplines within the studio is of the utmost importance. Understanding the full development pipeline and how UI/UX would make or break the game is key.
While IP will be the biggest part of the daily workload, our work-for-hire efforts will often be a part of the mix. Coordination with our internal teams and departments will require a broad set of skills and an ability to manage multiple UI/UX art efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with Art, Creative and Technical Directors to drive the style and functionality of the UI/UX.
- Collaborate with teams of engineers and designers in the design and implementation of UI components.
- Work collaboratively within a team of developers to create an intuitive UI experience.
- Must be able to achieve desired visual target quality on a project, while having the flexibility to create unique and original designs.
- Create a unique and engaging visual identity that supports and reinforces gameplay.
- Apply and maintain a consistent art style throughout the entire project interface.
- Create flow charts and wireframes demonstrating menu and user story flow.
- Create functional prototypes and animatics demonstrating UI interaction models.
- Create and maintain documentation including style guides and design documentation.
- Create and implement art assets into the project.
- Mentor multiple artists.
- Take on additional responsibilities as needed on a per project basis.
- Continue building your skills, studying industry trends in UI design as well as learning new software.
- Other duties may be assigned to accomplish company or department objectives.
- Seek to optimize and create efficient workflows with other developers.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5+ years creating professional UI/UX design in the video game industry
- Shipped at least two AAA titles as Senior or Lead UI/UX Artist
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art or equivalent work experience
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Masterful Proficiency in the Adobe Suite
- Knowledge of creating motion graphics using Flash, Nuke or After Effects
- Strong graphic design and layout sense
- Understanding of User-Centric UX design
- Must be able to translate a written design into a visual design
- Must be able to identify and accommodate end-user needs
- Ability to give and receive critiques professionally
- Understand the limitations of consoles, memory and performance issues
- Identify priorities and gaps in current designs, and contribute and iterate on creative solutions
- Be able to work within tight deadlines and constraints
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Ability to manage own time and schedule diligently
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team members
- Be able to work closely with engineers to create an efficient workflow to generate and implement UI and menu assets into the game
- Game Engine Experience UE3, UE4, CryEngine3+, Unity; Proprietary engines a plus
- Knowledge of one 3D package
- Understand how to use shader networks to improve UI
- Scripting or programming experience; HTML5, CSS, Actionscript 3.0
- Experience in 3D, FX, or other specializations
- Website Frontend experience
- Experience using Jira & Confluence
- Experience with Perforce