Associate Art Director - IP
At BSG, we have multiple business focuses and projects running concurrently, and we are actively looking for a seasoned leader to run our IP art team. You will work directly with the Studio Art Director to create an art style for the studio. Coordination with our Creative, Production, Engineering and Executive departments with be a major focus as you strive to build out your team of talented artists and create a solid, marketable, cohesive art style across disciplines. You must have pre-production experience and concept design background.
This role requires you to be a manager, a mentor and an artist. You must be able to identify strengths and weaknesses of the team and draw out hidden potentials of artists. You must be able to provide guidance and critical feedback across all art disciplines. As well, understand some finance and business management to effectively provide budgets for projects. This role requires reviewing art for quality and continuity according to project needs. This job also requires pro-activity, not reactivity, to solve issues before they become problems. Planning, and the ability to communicate across all disciplines within the studio, is of the utmost importance.
While this will be the biggest part of the daily workload, our work-for-hire efforts will often be a part of the mix. Coordination with our internal teams and departments will require a broad set of skills and an ability to manage multiple efforts. As teams share internal resource pools, having a strong understanding of roles and capabilities of individuals will be critical in your efforts to maintain a robust team structure and high bar of quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive Art Style in IP with a critical eye.
- Step in to create concept designs as needed.
- Create presentations for internal functions and external clients.
- Identify risks and provide solutions to leadership.
- Formulate tangible tasks with various department leads and production.
- Establish art bible for various projects to communicate vision to artists.
- Support client (internal or external) vision, game play and engineering efforts.
- Run and manage multiple projects co-currently on some occasions.
- Motivate your team
- Understanding the game, story and motivations behind our goals.
- Encourage art activities and mentorship
- Coordinate with HR to Hire, Review and Interview Candidates
- Authoring company and art documents and reviewing team authored documents
- Review art work in all art disciplines
- Providing explicit art direction to artists
- Keeping everyone on task
- Quickly devise solutions to the daily crisis
- Some travel will be required
- Other duties may be assigned to accomplish company or department objectives.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Built a multi discipline art team.
Have extensive pre-production and concept design background.
Must have been an Expert in one or more Game Art disciplines.
Shipped at least one AAA games or similar sized project as an Art Director, Associate Art Director, Lead Concept Artist in the past 5 years.
Bachelor’s Degree in Illustration, Industrial Design, Game Development/Art or Equivalent
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Personable and approachable with needs of artists
- Diplomatic communicator
- Positive Attitude
- Excellent time management skills for fast paced and dynamic projects schedules.
- Understand the need for Production involvement
- Superior Artistic Talent in Various Disciplines
- Effective Management Skills
- Effective Mentoring Skills
- Effective communications with clients
- Understanding the needs and challenges of project
- Examples of personal and professional artwork
- Examples of understanding of the work flow of concept to creation
- Examples of work they directed but did not create