Staff Performance Engineer
As a Staff Performance Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the success of our company by contributing to, as well as driving, high-quality releases and value-delivery to our customers. In this role, you will lead performance testing efforts across different product lines and engineering disciplines. You are expected to work with multiple projects with conflicting deadlines and in-compatible resource requirements. Using a wide range of tools and utilities, you identify performance related issues in the applications and systems and present your findings to other teams in the organization.
By following and evangelizing quality standards, as well as overall SDLC processes as they relate to quality, you will be able to affect meaningful change in the organization and help drive our culture to a quality and customer-first mentality.
- Design and execute different performance test strategies depending on unique project purposes and client requirements
- Analyze test results and establish reliable mathematic models for response time, throughput, SLA and other application performance metrics
- Grow and evolve our performance tooling and testing processes to ensure tests are customer-like and representative of real-world scenarios
- Identify existing bottlenecks in the hardware and software platform, application code stack, network and disk IO
- Measure and document reliable predictions on potential bottlenecks as computing platforms and workloads change
- Communicate test results and analysis to Engineering, Operations, PM, Network and DB teams
- Develop unique performance testing tools, analysis methodologies, as well as capacity planning
- Support the Engineering teams with tools and frameworks to enhance system performance, scalability and stability.
- Help and guide other QE teams develop their own performance test plans and scripts
- Co-ordinate multiple performance test projects within the limited test resources; provide expert opinions in understanding and analyzing their test results
- Identify gaps, issues, or other areas of concern, and proactively define, propose, and enact process and workflow improvements to mitigate such issues.
- Partner with Network, Database, Ops, InfoSec and other teams in evaluating performance issues and solutions for the infrastructure of the entire company
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or related disciplines
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in Web Application, SaaS, and RESTful API testing.
- Technical leader with extensive experience in architecting and measuring application performance of complex SaaS product environments.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in closed network simulations and open network simulations
- Fluent in Gatling.io and Jmeter; Knowledge of other industry standard performance tools such as Loadrunner, httperf etc is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of the inner workings of these utilities. Understand the key differences in the arrival patterns generated by these tools under different settings is a must.
- Proven records in root-cause analysis.
- Working knowledge of Queuing Theory.
- Prior hands-on experience with load test in Cloud set-up, especially as part of Cloud migration strategy is a big plus.
- In-depth knowledge in the stacks of common network protocols.
- Prior working experience with appliances such as firewalls, routers and load balancers is preferred
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL, including stored procedures, data models, and transactional flows is required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with engineers, product owners, and development managers, as well as other teams across the organization.
- Experience in statistical analysis is a strong plus.
- Experience testing mobile applications is a plus.