Staff Performance Engineer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
Make Your Mark:
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
As a Staff Performance Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the success of our company by contributing to, as well as driving, high-quality releases and value-delivery to our customers. In this role, you will lead performance testing efforts across different product lines and engineering disciplines. You are expected to work with multiple projects with conflicting deadlines and in-compatible resource requirements. Using a wide range of tools and utilities, you identify performance related issues in the applications and systems and present your findings to other teams in the organization.
By following and evangelizing quality standards, as well as overall SDLC processes as they relate to quality, you will be able to affect meaningful change in the organization and help drive our culture to a quality and customer-first mentality.
This position is ideally located at either our Pleasanton CA or Woodland Hills CA office but we will also consider fully remote candidates with occasional travel.
You’ll Get To :
- Design and execute different performance test strategies depending on unique project purposes and client requirements
- Analyze test results and establish reliable mathematic models for response time, throughput, SLA and other application performance metrics
- Grow and evolve our performance tooling and testing processes to ensure tests are customer-like and representative of real-world scenarios
- Identify existing bottlenecks in the hardware and software platform, application code stack, network and disk IO
- Measure and document reliable predictions on potential bottlenecks as computing platforms and workloads change
- Communicate test results and analysis to Engineering, Operations, PM, Network and DB teams
- Develop unique performance testing tools, analysis methodologies, as well as capacity planning
- Support the Engineering teams with tools and frameworks to enhance system performance, scalability and stability.
- Help and guide other QE teams develop their own performance test plans and scripts
- Co-ordinate multiple performance test projects within the limited test resources; provide expert opinions in understanding and analyzing their test results
- Identify gaps, issues, or other areas of concern, and proactively define, propose, and enact process and workflow improvements to mitigate such issues.
- Partner with Network, Database, Ops, InfoSec and other teams in evaluating performance issues and solutions for the infrastructure of the entire company•
What You’ll Bring:
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or related disciplines
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in Web Application, SaaS, and RESTful API testing.
- Technical leader with extensive experience in architecting and measuring application performance of complex SaaS product environments.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in closed network simulations and open network simulations
- Fluent in Gatling.io and Jmeter; Knowledge of other industry standard performance tools such as Loadrunner, httperf etc is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of the inner workings of these utilities. Understand the key differences in the arrival patterns generated by these tools under different settings is a must.
- Proven records in root-cause analysis.
- Working knowledge of Queuing Theory.
- Prior hands-on experience with load test in Cloud set-up, especially as part of Cloud migration strategy is a big plus.
- In-depth knowledge in the stacks of common network protocols.
- Prior working experience with appliances such as firewalls, routers and load balancers is preferred
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL, including stored procedures, data models, and transactional flows is required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with engineers, product owners, and development managers, as well as other teams across the organization.
- Experience in statistical analysis is a strong plus.
- Experience testing mobile applications is a plus.
Thrive At BlackLine Because You Are Joining:
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, color, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to [email protected]