Director, Engineering-SaaS Platform
In this role, you will be responsible for building and modernizing the next generation of highly scalable core platform services and systems that support BlackLine’s Continuous Accounting Platform. For example, API gateway, developer portal, authentication, messaging, rules engine, workflow orchestration, search, reporting and integration frameworks. This is a transformational role requiring exceptional technical, communication and collaboration skills to migrate the existing applications to a modern, cloud first, scalable microservices based architecture while making it a non-disruptive event for our customers. We're looking for really smart people who love solving big problems and are self-motivated to get things done.
- Lead, motivate, challenge, and build out the platform engineering team.
- Collaborate with application developers, Product Management, Customer Implementation teams, and customers to collect, clarify, and analyze needs and define/refine platform strategy.
- Design and implement highly scalable distributed core services that address the common concerns of application developers. E.g. API Gateway, authentication, role base authorization, messaging, job scheduling, task management, workflow orchestration, search and reporting.
- Build a common data backplane for asynchronous and scalable interoperation of services and data stores.
- Share your passion for engineering and deliver software that customers love to use!
- Hands on experience with designing, implementing and operating modern, at-scale B2B microservices based SaaS architectures.
- Strong working experience with core platform services, such as authentication, messaging (Kafka or RabbitMQ), orchestration, search, reporting, data streaming and data transformation.
- Experience with the public cloud (AWS, Azure, or GCP) and fluent understanding of cloud- native services, such as serverless compute, data streaming and stream processing, and search.
- Experience creating scalable RESTful services.
- Deep understanding of both technical and non-technical requirements for enterprise SaaS at scale in the areas of system performance, scalability, latency, reliability and security.
- Inspirational and highly collaborative leadership style, capable of building top-talent teams, cross-functional bridges, and high-impact architectures.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues to support the strategic goals.
- Experience in hiring, training, mentoring, and managing multiple teams.
- Experience in Database management systems (SQL, NoSQL), Elastic Search, Kafka, and object-oriented concepts.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; MS preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in software design and development, with a proven track record of delivery, paired with increasing responsibility in technical and strategic roles.
- 4+ years of experience with Enterprise SaaS solutions and modern web technologies.
- Prior experience in breaking a monolith application into scalable microservices running in a public cloud.
- Deep understanding of open source or commercial workflow engines and BPM suites.
- Familiar with ERP (SAP, Oracle, Netsuite or Microsoft) platforms.
- FinTech or Financial services domain background.