Staff Product Designer
BlackLine is a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become the world’s most trusted name in financial automation and defines the cutting-edge category of Modern Finance. We are a named Leader in the 2019 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Financial Corporate Performance Management, and one of the country’s best workplaces in Technology by Fortune™ Magazine.
The Product Design team at BlackLine drives product design and UX strategy across BlackLine’s entire suite of solutions and supports the key business objectives of the company. If you welcome solving complex challenges at the system level, and are passionate about enhancing user experience and productivity, as well as investing in customer success via B2B SaaS... come work with us!
The Staff Product Designer should be a UX evangelist and is responsible for overseeing various projects across multiple products. This role will collaborate and align with product and engineering partners. This role contributes to the standardization of process and best practices within the design team and between cross-functional teams. This role participates in planning, goal, and success metrics creation in the design team as well as helping the team to reach the next level. They must be fluent in UX research, workshop facilitation, usability testing, lean UX, principles of design and UX best practices with superb hands-on skills.
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
- Lead design efforts across multiple engagements and be the design partner for assigned product vertical(s)
- Understand BlackLine product ecosystem and build and support a cohesive user experience across various products
- Promote the value of design thinking
- Emphasize and advocate users
- Contribute to design strategy, vision and roadmap
- Scope, estimate and plan design efforts for the assigned vertical(s)
- Estimate and plan tasks and projects and manage a backlog and roadmap for assigned projects
- Collaborate and communicate with other partners with transparency for clear alignment
- Have expert knowledge in user research and set up a research/testing cadence and best practices
- Plan and facilitate workshops with various members within and outside the organization
- Groom BlackLine user personas and critical user journeys
- Support BlackLine Design System maintenance
- Deliver hands-on design execution from conceptualization to the final product, including CJM, sketches, user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes
- Help build a stronger design team by process and best practices optimization
- Support a culture of learning and mentor junior designers
- Perform other duties as assigned
Years of Experience in Related Field: 10+ years as an interaction, user experience, or a product designer role
- Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, HCI, Graphic Design, or other related discipline or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
Design/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in user research, user needs evaluation, metrics and measurements, IA, interaction design, prototyping, visual design, stakeholder management, design strategy and planning, and workshop facilitation
- Expert knowledge of design processes and methodology
- Ability to lead lean UX practice (rapid discovery, prototyping, testing and iteration)
- Leadership skills to inspire and mentor others
- Experience working with large data sets/volumes of information
- Knowledge of responsive design, native iOS and Android design
- Fluency in Figma
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills to articulate concepts, feedback and rationale and promote Design led initiatives
- Kind, assertive, positive, easy to with, team player with strong work ethics
- Strong design portfolio to demonstrate above qualifications
- Formal portfolio presentation is required during interview
- Enterprise SaaS experience
- Experience with FinTech products
- Experience with HTML/CSS and JS
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
We’re proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will reasonably accommodate applicants’ needs in accordance with applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.