Staff Software Engineer Front End
- Customers First: Meaningfully deliver high-quality value to our customers
- Continuous Improvement: Foster improvements to our work and its quality, our teams, and our company
- Integrity: Honest, collaborative, and supportive, always working to honor our commitments and take pride in our work
- Teamwork: Partnering with and supporting others, leading selflessly, and advocating for our collective success
- Initiative: Capitalize on creative approaches, problem-solving, and building the right things at the right time to deliver the right value to our customers
- Diversity: Open, inclusive, and supportive of all our team members and peers
We are a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation. Work. Play. Grow. At BlackLine.
A line of code can take on many forms—the sublime UI, the intuitive interaction, the error that is never seen because the code was fault-tolerant and done well, or the deployable package that makes us all more efficient and capable—yet it all results in delivering value to our customers by making their lives and their day-to-day tasks easier and as automated as they can be. Yet none of that is possible without those with the passion, experience, and drive to take a UX interface and make it applicable reality, or those who can create robust tools and components that enable our collective success and the success of our users.
As a Staff Front End Software Engineer, you will play a crucial role in delivering high quality solutions to our customers by designing, developing, troubleshooting, maintaining, optimizing and scaling BlackLine’s web
application and driving innovation into our product suite. In this role, you will research, test, benchmark and evaluate new technologies, propose scalable solutions, collaborate with a team, product management, UX,
and other teams to define and build new features, optimize existing features while writing elegant code for new UI Components, coaching and mentoring less experienced front end engineers and communicating with people at all levels. Your attention to detail, tenacity, and creative problem-solving and thinking ahead will directly impact the company's success, as well as the success of your peers across the organization.
If you have a passion for delivering products that make a difference, are driven to make things better in all that
you do and are eager to work in a collaborative agile environment where people are dedicated to solving
customer problems and innovating, then you would be a good fit for the team.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership in the design, development, and delivery of UI/UX Components for BlackLine’s products, while adhering to timelines, coding standards, requirements, and quality.
- Architect, design, develop, test, troubleshoot, debug, optimize, scale, maintain and improve user facing elements for our applications, driving the delivery of high quality value and features to BlackLine’s customers. Develop functional and technical specifications, and test plans. Review others’ code. Develop and document functional and technical requirements. Collaborate with other team members and other teams on all of the above.
- Design and communicate coding standards, architectural plans, solve complex UX design and architectural problems, create robust solutions.
- Implement, refine, and enforce software development techniques to ensure that delivered features meet software integration, performance, security, and maintainability expectations.
- Research, test, benchmark, and evaluate new UI tools and technologies, and recommend ways to implement them in product development.
- Maintain high standards of software quality and technical excellence within the team by establishing good practices and habits and writing clean, testable, maintainable, and secure code.
- Inspire a forward-thinking team of developers, acting as an agent of change and evangelist for a quality-first culture within the organization. Mentor and coach team members and guide them to solutions on complex issues.
- Proactively identify issues, gaps, or other areas of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and leadership to build consensus and take action.
- Perform critical maintenance, deployment, and release support activities, including occasional off-hours support.
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience with Front End software development.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in building highly optimized Web Applications.
- Expert level knowledge in HTML5, CSS3 and CSS preprocessors.
- Expert level knowledge of MVC/MVVM frameworks (such as Angular, React, Vue, etc.) and tools (such as npm, node, gulp, etc.).
- Experience with back-end technologies (DOT.NET (C#), Java, WebAPI etc.) is a plus.
- Fluency in cross-browser development and debugging.
- A solid understanding of computer science foundation including data structures, algorithms, and design patterns related to the Front End development.
- Experience as a technical influencer for highly scalable distributed system designs.
- Experience with performance optimization approaches (caching, CDN, etc.).
- Experience with developing Single Page Applications.
- Experience with source controls tools (git, etc.).
- Experience as a technical lead on significant development initiatives.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable team player with strong collaboration skills and a focus on results and value delivery.
- Prior working experience in Scrum, or other Agile development methodologies, is preferred.
- Passion for engineering excellence through automation, unit testing, and process improvements.