Director, Cloud Engineering
The Director of Cloud Engineering is at the core of preparing for the continued exponential growth of Blackline’s SaaS product and other programs in the Technical Operations group that powers all of Blackline. We are looking for a strong leader to lead our newly formed Cloud Engineering team that will enable BlackLine to deliver a safe and secure cloud platform for our software engineers and our clients. The person in this role will build a team of talented engineers with deep knowledge of multiple public clouds, cloud native computing technologies, building of new abstractions and service layers, and establishing best practices, standards, and governance.
We’re looking for someone with strong communication skills who is experienced at leading software development teams. We follow agile methodologies and look to be innovative, productive and collaborative. You’ll work with engineering, operations, and security teams across the company on their cloud plans.
- Builds new abstractions and service layers on top of the native cloud functionality to enhance security, enforce standardization and enable engineer productivity
- Provides subject matter expertise to other groups on cloud native capabilities, in house abstractions and tools
- Commits to road maps for in house PaaS solutions with specific capabilities and timelines, with a proven track record for timely, cost-effective and quality deliverables
- Partners with internal organization and vendors to develop multi-year roadmaps influencing the direction and evolution of the operating environment and support protocols
- Establishes and maintains Key Performance Indicators for the overall health of the service and build tools to exercise and evaluate if these KPI’s are being met
- Works cross-functionally with other teams to surface common pain points, architect solutions, establish conventions, and evangelize application development and operations best practices
- Transforms discoveries into requests to others or action items for you and your team
- Hires, mentors and grows a team of passionate engineers who work well across the company and are subject matter experts in cloud platforms and native technologies
- Works within the team on priorities and help specifying the deliverables around governance software, best practices, examples
- Helps drive excitement and adoption of public cloud the company by leading communication plans, training, and information sharing
- Advocates for change across the organization. Ensures the implementation of change with appropriate communications, goals, resources, metrics, and reviews
- Engages with cloud providers for support and connections to their product teams (roadmaps, etc)
- Defines individual performance objectives and development plans and ensure alignment with individual growth and organizational objectives.
- Scrum and agile enthusiast with a realistic understanding of how to customize processes to optimize quality and delivery of software to stakeholders
- Hands on enough to contribute to technical conversations, decisions, strategies, and review code
- Experienced in quality practices, techniques, and tools at all layers of the stack
- Experience with high availability, high-scale, performance systems preferred
- An ability to balance the urgent needs along with long term strategy
- Strong ownership, pride of work, and ability to take things across the finish line. Someone can see around corners and who finishes well
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Empathy for working with support teams to identify and remedy pain points
- Someone energized by a fast-paced, iterative approach
- Hands-on problem-solving skills, technical leadership and mentoring qualities
- Expertise in using and managing cloud platforms and cloud native tools
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of the teams' technical execution
- Proven ability to work across a wide organization to achieve results based on technical vision
- Cross-system and full-stack architecture experience and awareness
- Strong intra team and cross functional collaboration skills
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- 10+ years industry experience and 5+ years in a software development managerial role
- A minimum of two years direct experience building or operating cloud native applications using Kubernetes and Docker
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and storage, yet verbally and cognitively agile enough to hold your own in a strategy discussion with leadership team
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
- Ability to communicate well with both business owners and technical staff, at the appropriate level for both.
- Prior C#, ASP.NET, Ruby, Go or Java development experience, preferably in an agile SaaS environment.
- Significant experience with open source platforms and technologies.
- Experience with software development processes and methodologies.
- Track record of architecting, developing, implementing robust, distributed online solutions.
- ITIL knowledge is a plus.